We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling all Ft Lauderdale Restaurant Aficionado’s

Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Topic
Calling all Ft Lauderdale Restaurant Aficionado’s

We are planning a 5 night stay in Fort Lauderdale the end of April for my 50th Bday. I've dones some research and I think we would like to try Yolo's, 3030, Capital Grille and one of 4 italian restaurants. I've narrowed it down to Cafe Vico ,Cafe D'Angelo ,Valentino Cucina,Frankie and Johnnys.

Which one would you choose and why and do you agree with our restaurant choices?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,990 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling all Ft Lauderdale Restaurant Aficionado’s

I have not been to Valentino's which is up in Pompano Beach and the only Johnny's I can think of is a male strip club on Broward Blvd( that can't be it) , so I would choose either Casa De Angelo or Vico- I think I would give the edge to Vico- I just like it very much- always have good food and service and .my friends in your same age demographic like it too and we all go there more often than Angelo's- though both are very good IMO. Do you have an address or web site for Johnny's-? I'm really drawing a blank on tnat one.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling all Ft Lauderdale Restaurant Aficionado’s

Lulu: I never heard of it, but it does get good reviews on Yelp

http://frankieandjohnnys.com/

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,990 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling all Ft Lauderdale Restaurant Aficionado’s

OH Frankie and Johnny's- DUH! Sorry! ( didn't see the Frankies- skimmed the question too fast not enough coffee this am) It's right down the street from me( on Oakland Park Blvd.) I have not yet gotten there , but have heard it is good...I'll still stick with Cafe Vico as I can recommend it personally- I had almost decided the poster had anglecized the name of Giani's in Pompano.. Thank you JD!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,990 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling all Ft Lauderdale Restaurant Aficionado’s

I also want to add that all of these are fairly small "storefront" places in strip shopping areas- not places that are large and freestanding - just so you'll know what to expect.

JD ( I suspect) and I might be tempted to add Pa D' Gennaro's , another small Italian place- I have often celebrated my birthday there, but I have to admit I have not been back recently- they remodelled and changed the menu quite a bit and removed some of my favorite dishes . It's not traditional Italian cooking- but good and unusual choices. I think the owner/chef is actually Swiss, but it is another one worth considering- I'd still stick with Cafe Vico though . What was your last take on D'Gennaro's JD?

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling all Ft Lauderdale Restaurant Aficionado’s

Since the remodel I have only been once. We sat at the bar and had appetizers, soup, and salad, which were all good. I agree it is not typical Italian fare. I hope it stays in business-the parking lot never seems to be full when I've been by the last few trips.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
390 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling all Ft Lauderdale Restaurant Aficionado’s

Valentino's is very good . The location is Federal Hywy just north of Davie Blvd - My pick is Casa D' Angelo

7. Re: Calling all Ft Lauderdale Restaurant Aficionado’s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2013, 10:17