We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ticket to FLL from west coast

Portland, Oregon
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ticket to FLL from west coast

We are planning to do the RC cruise in Dec. I am starting to look at the tickets from Portland OR. I am surprised that tickets are a lot more expensive than what I thought even booking this early. We have never flied into FLL before and not sure whether it's always been this way that booking early does not make any difference in getting a good deal. I have elderly and children in the party, so red eye is not in our consideration to get the cheaper fare. The price per ticket with the time that fits our need is from $700 and up. Is it worthwhile wait a little that the price may come down, or should I just buy the tickets now? Thank you.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,451 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ticket to FLL from west coast

HI Mom,

We are too far out from December for air fares to come down. Generally they come down maybe two months out (if they are going to). However, December is a special situation because of Christmas travel and because of this fares might not come down. And then there are the snowbirds that are funneling into Florida for the winter. I hope you are travellilng in the first half of December and not the last half. Something else that will affect the price of tickets is the price of fuel which is going up as I write. With all the people in your party I'm sure you will be getting more and more nervous as prices climb higher and higher and it gets closer and closer to December.

My suggestions are that you watch fares for flights into all the major airports anywhere near Fort Lauderdale, i.e. Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and Orlando.

And see if you can get a package deal for the cruise that includes your flights.

Good luck,

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: ticket to FLL from west coast

you may want to try to book a cheaper ticket from Long Beach, CA or Los Angeles (LAX) or SFO and then try to look for a cheap connecting flight from Portland down the west coast (?)

Level Contributor
280 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ticket to FLL from west coast

Only you can decide. I bought my tickets for a cruise from FLL leaving Dec 18 , 2012. two weeks ago. I got direct filghts with the time of day I wanted for a price I could live with.

I am glad I did.

I have been looking for a fare from MN to Tampa for another trip in April or May The price has gone up $150. in the last two weeks.

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: ticket to FLL from west coast

Try getting tickets from sfo ( best option is JetBlue non-stop to FLL). Avoid Miami since fares are higher. Got r/t March flight for $300. Good luck

Portland, Oregon
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: ticket to FLL from west coast

Thank you all for sharing your experience!

Level Contributor
10,892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ticket to FLL from west coast

$700 for coach is a little steep. As suggested look at other airports. Miami or Ft Myers may be alternatives. Orlando is at least a three hour drive. Also try comparison travel sites. If you find a good rate on a comparison site, look again directly with the airline.

Also, look at other ports. RCI also goes out of Port Canaveral if you fly into Orlando.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ticket to FLL from west coast

Check this website, you can add nearby airports

You can't purchase tickets from this site, but you can use the information to buy directly from the airline website.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ticket to FLL from west coast

Use Kayak.com

It's best to check throughout the week & during different times of day. I was very lucky buying tickets from Chicago to FLL using this method. Keep checking until you find something you can live with.

Unfortunately, with gas prices what they are, I don't think you'll see a reduction anytime soon.

9. Re: ticket to FLL from west coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 04:42