We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harbor Beach Marriott Resort questions

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
282 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Harbor Beach Marriott Resort questions

Hi - don't know much about Fort Lauderdale but am considering staying for 3 nights at Harbor Beach Marriott. Gets nice reviews on here and we have Marriott Rewards points to use.

My question is about the location...can we walk to any restaurants b/c the one complaint in the reviews is the hotel restaurants are expensive. Would rather not rent a car but will if nothing is nearby. Parking at hotel is also expensive so another reason I don't want to rent a car. If unable to walk, what are cab fares like to nearby restaurants?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Also please recommend any good nearby restaurants...there is a strip of restaurants/stores nearby from what I understand?

Thanks!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,651 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harbor Beach Marriott Resort questions

As best I can describe it, there is an access road you must walk up from Harbor Beach to get on the main beach road ( Seabreeze) and I believe it is about 1/3 mile in length or so. After you get out on the main road you'll also have to walk a bit further north to get to the main area of restaurants.. So, if you can walk about a mile on flat ground with no problem , you should be ok- a Taxi to get up on the beach to the restaurant area from the hotel should be between $5-10 I'm guessing- certainly not expensive. On weekends the red and yellow Sun Trolley will run up Seabreeze as far as Las Olas Blvd till early evening ( you can flag it down anywhere and hop on) and that particular trolley is free ( some others on other routes charge 50 cents or $1) .

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,651 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harbor Beach Marriott Resort questions

Sorry- must correct myself- Sun Trolley is free on Fridays only - and only on that one route- some day I'll keep all this straight! Still a good option for getting around even at $1 pp. Sometimes I think it is only 50 cents ( see why I confuse myself..). what i usually do is hop on with a fist full of quarters and give the driver whatever he says ...

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,879 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harbor Beach Marriott Resort questions

As well, there's a water taxi stop not far from the hotel which will give you additional options - like going to Las Olas Blvd for dining and shopping and heading to Galleria Mall for additional dining and shopping options.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this property - it's a wonderful hotel.

Juno Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
987 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harbor Beach Marriott Resort questions

Have you considered Marriott's Beach place Towers? It is right on the beach strip. We always stay there and walk every where...

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Harbor Beach Marriott Resort questions

Marriott Harbor Beach is one of my "bestest" spots to stay and we are there about once a year. It would be more if I didn't have to work!

I am Lifetime Platinum with Marriott and this property does the best job of acknowledging loyalty to its' program. They always treat you very nicely!

We always rent a car because we like the freedom of going out any time that we want. We drive over to Lester's Diner for breakfast and all over the city to our favorite dining spots. We also like to drive out to see the gators! While it's true that parking is not cheap at the hotel, you can also use points for your own Marriott gift cheque to apply to your hotel bill if you have the luxury of having enough points.

I like this Marriott because the beach is quieter and you are right on the beachfront here. If I found myself without a car here, I would walk over to Grill 66 for a great steak or seafood dinner. It's a left out of the hotel and just a few blocks down at the causeway. There are always taxis out front if you want to cab it to a different restaurant. We've never used the water taxi but that is close by as well.

My personal preference would be to rent a car.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
282 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Harbor Beach Marriott Resort questions

Great thanks so much for all the replies...all so helpful.

I'm thinking we probably can survive without a car for just the short 3 nights stay we'll be there. I'll look into cost and see if it's worth it to rent one...I don't have enough leftover pts to pay for parking.

Thanks for all the tips!

I'm going to start a new thread for restaurant suggestions in the area.

If anyone checks back here though and can let me know best way to get from airport to hotel - that would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking since hotel is not far from airport a cab would probably be best. Anyone know approx cost?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
282 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Harbor Beach Marriott Resort questions

1 more question...anyone know of a drugstore or supermarket nearby? I like to do carry on only but need a ton of sunscreen so I will want to buy that when I arrive in Ft Lauderdale. It's usually so expensive in hotel gift shops.

Thanks!

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Harbor Beach Marriott Resort questions

Cab cost should be about 15-17 pre tip.

There really isn't a drug store in walking distance but the resort store in the basement of HB is pretty good.

Level Contributor
59 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Harbor Beach Marriott Resort questions

I stay at this property all the time and when I take the cab (I NEVER rent a car _ don't need to) I have him stop at the Publix right on the way and he will wait for you ~ maybe adds another $2 to the bill. They also sell beer and wine so I grab some of that too. The hotel is pricy but so is every where. There is ample choice at the hotel, a star bucks in the lobby for quick bfast and 3030 is probably one of the best restaurants in the area - you can sit at the bar and split the choice of the day which comes with appetz, entree and desert (thats what I do). There is bahia a short walk away and that is a great Key West style casual dining place right on the water and the water taxi. Have fun! Be sure to ask for a pool ocean view room high floor ~ seems bigger and has better views.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
282 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Harbor Beach Marriott Resort questions

Thanks so much for this last reply...very helpful info!