We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day trip to Southern Florida

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
7 day trip to Southern Florida

Looking forward to a trip to Florida late June with my family (kids are 14 and 18), and I'm trying to decide if squeezing in a few days in the keys and a few days in Orlando at Disney is too much to attempt. This is a "traveling" vacation - even though we fly into Miami - because we've never been to southern florida and may not be back for who knows how long. I'd love to spend a day or two in Ft. Lauderdale, and a day or two at Key Largo/Marathon, and the rest of the time in Orlando.

The 4 hour drive is the worst part of the plan, and that is just from FLL to Orlando. That alone seems to be a showstopper, but if anyone has done anything like this in a 7 days stretch (9 days if you include fly days), I'd really appreciate info on how it went. I'm under the impression from posts on TA that people fly into FLL and Miami and do Orlando all the time, but I'm not sure they do both the keys and Orlando and FLL, all in the same trip!

By the way, we don't really do beaches, but we are thinking of trying snorkeling, parasailing, and a short boat tour trip. We've been to Disney before (in '08), so a couple of days is all we would need to hit the highlights. I just don't want to go overboard and spend too much time in the car.

Juno Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
987 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day trip to Southern Florida

Seems a bit ambitious to me. I would suggest that you choose between the keys or Orlando. If you don't "do" beaches, you may as well go to Disney. The keys are all about the water, snorkeling, fishing, floating, and boating. Oh, and a bit of drinking.....

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day trip to Southern Florida

We can spend a whole week in Orlando alone. We love Disney, so 2 days in Epcot, 2 days in Magic Kingdom, 1 in Animal Kingdom, half in Studios is not unheard of, plus Universal Studios and Sea World. Definitely do an all-Orlando trip another time.

We could easily fill up 7 days on the coast...so many things to do in FLL, MIA, and down to the Keys. Museums, animal attractions, boat rides, the Everglades, the list is endless. Each person has different interests but I would just stay along the coast.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day trip to Southern Florida

Hi cd7,

What you have described can be done.

Note that the drive from Miami to Key West is about 3 1/2 hours, like the drive from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando.

I haven't met a teenager yet that didn't like the beach!

Stay overnight in Fort Lauderdale to break up the drive between Key West and Orlando. While you are in Fort Lauderdale, go on the Everglades tour, and take the Carrie B cruise tour of the Intracoastal Waterway to see the beautiful houses of Fort Lauderdale and the harbor with the big cruise ships.

Carrie B: http://www.carriebcruises.com/

Everglades tour: http://www.evergladesholidaypark.com/

Enjoy your trip,

Spirit

Edited: 19 March 2012, 18:25
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day trip to Southern Florida

You could easily spend the entire time in south Florida. In addition to the suggestions above, check out Morningstar charters in Key Largo for snorkeling and/or sailing. Looe Key is another great snorkeling location near Big Pine Key.

Check out www.sunny.org for more Ft Lauderdale suggestions.

There are plenty of choices available, so check back with us as you begin to make your decisions.

England
Level Contributor
898 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 day trip to Southern Florida

How's about:

1 night Miami

2 nights Orlando

1 night Ft Lauderdale

2 nights Key Largo/Marathon/Key West

Final night Key Largo or Miami (depending on the time of your flight)

Edited: 19 March 2012, 19:58
Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 day trip to Southern Florida

Wow - thanks for the quick responses.!

Our return flight is at 12:00 on a Wednesday from Miami Intl airport...if we did stay in Key Largo on a Tuesday night, about how long should we allocate for the drive to the Miami airport? I'm not familiar with the roads in Floriday yet, but I'm afraid morning rush hour could be a problem.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 day trip to Southern Florida

We leave Pompano Beach at about 6:30 am to reach Key Largo by 9 and we're always early. So I'd say you should leave KL no later than 7:30 -8 to catch a noon flight, if you are already checked in.

England
Level Contributor
898 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 day trip to Southern Florida

If you think staying in KL would be a bit tight - you could consider the last night in Homestead (a decent new Hampton Inn there), which would be closer to the airport and also give you a chance to see a bit of the Everglades as a bonus!

9. Re: 7 day trip to Southern Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2013, 09:52