We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better Choice - Il Lugano or Sun Tower Hotel & Suite

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Better Choice - Il Lugano or Sun Tower Hotel & Suite

Spending two nights in Ft. Lauderdale with 11 year old grandson. Which is a better choice of hotel Il lugano or Sun Tower on the beach. Thanks.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better Choice - Il Lugano or Sun Tower Hotel & Suite

Depends on what you're looking for. The rooms at Il Lugano are definitely nicer (very modern decor), and the service was excellent,but honestly, that's all it has going for it. The pool area is not nice at all- very small and mostly in the shade due to the shadow from the hotel.

Sun Tower Suites I really like, even though the rooms are not as up to date. They have been refurbished though(except for the bathrooms), and are very comfortable. Definitely get a suite. It's directly on the ocean with great views, and the price includes beach chairs and umbrellas. The little restaurant they have there is really good too. The pool is much nicer than Il Lugano's.Parking is also included(not so at Il Lugano). If you have any specific questions let me know. I have stayed at both recently. If it were me with an 11 year old, I would definitely choose Sun Tower.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better Choice - Il Lugano or Sun Tower Hotel & Suite

I would definitely take JD3's excellent advice!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,638 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better Choice - Il Lugano or Sun Tower Hotel & Suite

I agree- Sun Tower for the party you describe. JD had an intergenerational group there recently and a good time was had by all- that suite would be a great choice !

Edited: 15 April 2012, 15:28
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better Choice - Il Lugano or Sun Tower Hotel & Suite

Thanks everyone for your advice. I certainly will take it. Too bad they only refurbished the room and not bathrooms, but you cannot have everything. Are there any cafes within walking distance of the Sun Tower for coffee and bagel.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better Choice - Il Lugano or Sun Tower Hotel & Suite

No, there are no places to walk to. The restaurant in the hotel has breakfast, including bagels though. Also you can walk next door to the Pelican Grand for breakfast. Both restaurants I find good, but pricey, for breakfast. A bus(#11) stops in from of the hotel, and you can take it a couple miles up to Lauderdale By The Sea (get off at Commercial Blvd.) there you will find 3 restaurants that are much less expensive for breakfast.

If you stay at Suntower, PM me and I can tell you what room location to request.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better Choice - Il Lugano or Sun Tower Hotel & Suite

I am going yo AAA to book the Suntower today. Please do let me know what room location to request. I really appreciate your advice. We will have a car so we can go elsewhere for breakfast if necessary. Is Los Olas nearby? I used to live in Hollywood Florida and moved to LA in 1983, so many things have changed, so I hear.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Better Choice - Il Lugano or Sun Tower Hotel & Suite

If you are getting a suite, request one on floors 4 through 6, North facing corner. All the suites are corner units. The restaurant(with an outside patio) is on the ground floor on the south corner, so you don't want to be above that, especially on the 2nd or 3rd floor where you would have no privacy on your balcony. 4-6 is OK on that side though. You'll love the views. When you are sitting in the living room you feel like your on a cruise ship as all you see is water.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Better Choice - Il Lugano or Sun Tower Hotel & Suite

Thanks again for the advice. The suites only have a king bed and a pull out sofa. We booked a double queen as we did not want our grandson sleeping on a pull out sofa bed. We requested the higher floors, but no guaranty. Only a request. Any other suggestions in the beach area for hotels that are more boutique and not large ones that are really up to date.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Better Choice - Il Lugano or Sun Tower Hotel & Suite

My favorite hotel is Lago Mar,which has suites as well. Parking and Internet are included, and it's directly on the beach.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Better Choice - Il Lugano or Sun Tower Hotel & Suite

I agree with your suggestion, except that it is twice the price of the Sun Tower and we are going all out in Orlando at the Loews Portofino. If you think of any other, please let me know. Thanks again.