We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Fort Lauderdale

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
Day trips from Fort Lauderdale

Hello All! We will be travelling to Fort Lauderdale next week and we are looking to take 2 tours during our vacation:

1) A day trip to Miami - we have a rental car but would rather not drive there so would prefer to take a train/bus/or boat, any suggestions leaving from the Fort Lauderdale area

2) Also would like to do an everglades tour, and suggestions for that as well, I see a ton on the net and its hard to pick one!

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Fort Lauderdale

Where in Miami are you headed to? You can take Tri-Rail to Miami and then hop on Metrorail to get around but that's more for the downtown area. You can't use those two options to get to Miami Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,304 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Fort Lauderdale

Why don't you want to drive to Miami, it's a fairly easy drive. If you are talking South Beach Miami it's probably your only option.

As regards the Everglades, I like Sawgrass Recreation Park, they have open airboats and a small animal sancutaury. You can download a coupon from their web site. Another popular one is Everglades Holiday Park their airboats have a canopy and they have a gator show (which doesn't appeal to me but if you've never seen one you might enjoy it). Neither will take you all day

Check out sunny.org if you are visiting in the summer they have a 2 for 1 card which you can apply for, it covered Sawgrass Recreation Park last year, not sure if it does this year you would have to check.

Mentioned in this post
South Beach
South Beach
17,258 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Sawgrass Recreation Park
Sawgrass Recreation Park
1,568 Reviews
Weston, FL
Everglades Holiday Park
Everglades Holiday Park
3,607 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Ft Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
135 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Fort Lauderdale

My husband loves Billies Swamp Safari. Its a hike to the middle of the Everglades but it was a lot of fun,

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Fort Lauderdale

look at sunny.org. they have a lot of very useful information including tours and suggested itineraries. Also beach cams and restaurant information

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Fort Lauderdale

One of my favorite parts about driving to Miami is cruising over the Julia Tuttle and seeing all that skyline and blue water! Make sure you have some Reggaeton ready to go.

Once you get to south beach, park at the Convention center (17th) street. You'll be right in the thick of it, on Lincoln road. Stroll along, get lunch at Books&Books and people watch. Grab a burger at Shake Shack, or some Sushi Samba. Then if you want to see more, grab a bike from DecoBike. Your cc works as your day pass. Ride down along the beach boardwalk, and you'll be car free most of the way!

And wear sunscreen

Edited: 18 May 2012, 15:20
Mentioned in this post
The Julia Hotel
The Julia Hotel
209 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Lincoln Road
Lincoln Road
15,376 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Florida
Level Contributor
192 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Fort Lauderdale

jdhammer, I love your suggestions. I didnt realize there was a shake shack there and I never thought of getting a bike. I'll be heading south on sunday :-)

7. Re: Day trips from Fort Lauderdale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 19:16