We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not So Happy Hour Fish Tales?

nyc ny
Level Contributor
52 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Not So Happy Hour Fish Tales?

I have a place on the beach near Fishtales, but I only come down a few times a year. I asked one of my neighbors, if Fishtales ,was a good place to go for happy hour. He told me not to go there as a number of people have been assaulted, some stabbed, and one was murdered in the place.....yikes....is this true

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not So Happy Hour Fish Tales?

I live right near Fishtales and only know of the one stabbing- which was done by a deranged man who lived in one of the condos who stabbed a musician there. I am not aware of any other issues at all. That stabbing, by the way took place in the wee hours of the morning as the bar was almost closing , not at Happy Hour . Several of us - all older females meet there often for Happy Hour and have no fear.

Too bad for you ,I'd say , if you miss those great Happy Hour prices and the steak sandwiches.

I will say the late Friday /Saturday night crowd tends to be younger than the typical happy hour patrons- and I really have no desire to hear the type of music played there then and would tend to avoid it then for that reason, not because of any fear.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,085 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not So Happy Hour Fish Tales?

The stabbing at Fishtales happened at about 3am, nowhere near Happy Hour. I've enjoyed several nights out there with TA buddies and never felt unsafe. I think sometimes people overreact. OK there might be a few odd charaters in the area but aren't there in any big city anywhere in the world? Certainly there are in England, yesterday a lady was murdered in the next village to where I live. Will it stop me shopping there? Of course not. Should we all be hermits and stay at home Providing you take the normal precautions you would take in any place you'll be safe.

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not So Happy Hour Fish Tales?

stabbings are really counter to the term "happy hour"

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
1,070 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not So Happy Hour Fish Tales?

Google it and the web is full of articles on this subject. One man was murdered and several were stabbed, but it was all the same incident in Aprill 2011.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not So Happy Hour Fish Tales?

I remember it fairly well as we were on our way to PBI Airport early that morning and saw crime scene tape around Fishtales- and assumed it was a robbery till we got back and learned that a somewhat wealthy resident of a Galt Mile Condo ( he was renting it- subsidized by his wealthy family - and was left to live on his on his own though known to be mentally ill- his family wanted to be rid of him) had murdered a popular musician . The man was known to be troublemaker at his condo and had recently gone on a rampage there, but the landlord talked the condo into letting him stay and promised not to renew his lease. It was the next day or so that the man went to Fishtales and got in an altercation about his bill and several bar patrons including the musician came to the bartenders aid and threw him out. He returned later and started stabbing everyone.

Apparently he had severe mental health issues and had chosen to get off his meds. Residents of the condo were frightened of his behavior. A real tragedy as the musician was much beloved on the Galt. I don't think it has come to trial- there may never be a trial as the man's sanity was in doubt .

Heck, we have had murders here at fast food restaurants and pancake houses- but that is the only violence I have ever known of at Fishtales- other than an occasional rowdy bar patron - but Happy Hour is usually quite happy there!

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not So Happy Hour Fish Tales?

sounds like another story like the wealthy polo player from Palm beach who killed his wife in a traffidc accident while drunk . i don't remember the detils but it was quite a scandal. almost like a movie plot

nyc ny
Level Contributor
52 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not So Happy Hour Fish Tales?

OK . I am glad to hear the particulars. Whenever I come down to ft lauderdale from NYC , I like to relax, in laid back places.I generally gravitate to places with a more mature crowd. As Fishtales is a few block from my condo, I was hoping it would be that type of place

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,635 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not So Happy Hour Fish Tales?

Have you tried Blue Jean Blues across 33rd St from Fishtales? They have a nice happy hour with 2/1 wine and beer ( maybe cocktails too- I'm a b/w gal except in Vegas..).and half price on many appetizers- and there is often live music. I think it attracts a nice group. Their pizza is good too- it seems to be the recipe from Stingers in Pompano. Some of us TA posters have gathered there as well on occasion. Now that Cafe Bluefish is gone down off Sunrise ( sob) we perhaps will be there more often.

I'm personally waiting for the new spiffy looking Greek place to open next to Hess.. I heard they will grill a selection of fresh fish to order- but I'm worried the prices might be really high..

9. Re: Not So Happy Hour Fish Tales?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 January 2013, 19:05
Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not So Happy Hour Fish Tales?

Not sure about Fort Lauderdale, but we walked along the Riverwalk in the afternoon recently. We did see a few cases of possible solicitations or homeless people - not causing any problems. We did see two security officers - one near the fountain, another just along the walk. There are several boarded up restaurants long the SW corridor of the walk. However that being said, it was NOT unsafe and rather pleasant to see a number of sight seeing cruise boats, water taxi's, and huge yachts lined up for quite a bit. Little dogs being walked. We then we had lunch very pleasant, checked out a few art galleries, and went back on the Riverwalk. Please give this area your business because it is very interesting, not unsafe.