We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Holiday INN in Fort Lauderdale should I choose????

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Which Holiday INN in Fort Lauderdale should I choose????

Staying in Fort Lauderdale for one night in August before leaving cruise the next day. Which Holiday Inn should I stay at ?

1.Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruise

or

2.Holiday Inn Express Ft. Lauderdale Convention Center-Cruise

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,579 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Holiday INN in Fort Lauderdale should I choose????

Convention Center- it's much closer than Airport /Cruiseport. right at the entrance to the Port The name of Airport/Cruiseport is deceptive- it's out on a highway, far from the Port.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Holiday INN in Fort Lauderdale should I choose????

Thanks so much..Is the convention center location more convenient to shops/restaurants/ etc?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,579 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Holiday INN in Fort Lauderdale should I choose????

Yes- more about restaurants than shops though there is Ross clothing store and a few other shops- the HI Airport Cruiseport has less near it- it's in a low income area.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Holiday INN in Fort Lauderdale should I choose????

Great . Thanks again! That's perfect..More concerned about eating than shopping anyway...lol..

For shops I was for last minute miscellaneous items for the cruise:)

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,579 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Holiday INN in Fort Lauderdale should I choose????

Most folks find what they need ( toiletries, snacks, water ) at the Walgreens Drugs or the Publix Supermarket t. Both stock items with cruisers in mind. Ross has sports wear , undies, sandals , swimwear etc. . also Total Wine superstore and a few other places along 17th St. . I think you'll be fine.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Holiday INN in Fort Lauderdale should I choose????

Thanks again!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Holiday INN in Fort Lauderdale should I choose????

Which do you think is a better choice between this and the Hyatt Place 17st?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,579 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Holiday INN in Fort Lauderdale should I choose????

I'd really say it's a draw! A Destination Expert from Kansas went cruising a few months ago and stayed at Hyatt Place and found it ok . It does get quite hectic on crusie mornings there with people crowding in for the breakfast and trying to get the port shuttle- but I believe they charge $8 pp for the shuttle and if there are two or more of you, a taxi will actually cost a little less ( should be $10-15 total depending on the ship's location and you share the fare between all in the taxi) and not be as crowded and you won't have to stop at every ship to discharge others either. I met that Expert, Topeka Ducky, and her hubby at Joe's Diner near the hotel so we could have a leisurely breakfast instead and we enjoyed the calmness. I think all the pre cruise hotels take a good bit of wear and tear on the rooms as they have so much in and out traffic, but Ducky found the room acceptable and the staff friendly.

Mentioned in this post
Kansas
Kansas
United States
Joe's Diner
Joe's Diner
82 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Holiday INN in Fort Lauderdale should I choose????

Appreciate the prompt response once again. Location wise does one hotel have an advantage over the other?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,579 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Holiday INN in Fort Lauderdale should I choose????

Again I can't say I think so- Hyatt is about aa block walk or so to Harbor Plaza where there is a Publix grocery and many restaurants , but HI CC is amid several restaurants right near the Walgreens Drugs and a litle closer to thePort entrance ( but just a little). Others will tell you I'm usually rather opinionated, but in this case, not so much...you can really prety much walk to the same places from either in my thinking. Is there a price difference?