We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time drive to Fort Lauderdale

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
1st time drive to Fort Lauderdale

I will be driving to Fort Lauderdale with my wife in mid Aug.

Should I drive through Buffalo or Detroit, any trips would be great

Thanks in advance

Matt

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,318 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time drive to Fort Lauderdale

Hi,

Toronto is real close to Niagara Falls so you have undoubtedly seen it already, but if not, visit the falls and Niagara on the Lake, and then proceed south through Buffalo.

The route you choose would depend on what your priorities are: the most scenic route, the fastest route, the route that only uses major Interstate highways, etc..

Drive carefully!

Spirit

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time drive to Fort Lauderdale

Thanks

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time drive to Fort Lauderdale

I have been doing this drive since 1969. I have 3 routes, each will have pro and con. Read thru and I will give you my commentary.

Route #1 - Thru Detroit, down I75. Probably the shortest routd distance wise. Main drawback is that you have to go through a number of major cities (Detroit,Toledo, Dayton, Cincinnati, Lexington, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Atlanta (the worst), etc.etc), some of them during rush hour (depends on your timing). The traffic will wear you down, if not slow you down.

Route #2 - Thru Buffalo, I90 to Erie, I79 to I76 (Penn turnpike), then I76 to Breezewood, PA, then I70/270 to I95, then thru to Florida. The only major centre you pass thru is on the 495 Washington outerbelt. Traffic is tough during rush hour, but manageable at any other time. From there its a straight and easy run to Florida. Trip is a bit longer, mileage wise, and a bit boring (no mountains)

Route #3 - Same as route #2, but continue on I79 to W. Virginia, pick up I77 south, through Charlotte NC, then E. on I26 at Columbia SC back to I95. Advantage-avoids the Washington traffic, and no major cities. Disadvantage is the mountainous terrain in W. Virginia. Wouldn't want to get caught there in a snowstorm.

Hope you find this helpful.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time drive to Fort Lauderdale

thanks

5. Re: 1st time drive to Fort Lauderdale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 05:16