We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area is the best to stay in FT Lauderdale or Pompano?

Frankfort, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What area is the best to stay in FT Lauderdale or Pompano?

My hubby and I are headed down next week for three days. What is the best city to stay in for lodging deals? What hotels would you suggest that are economical but not gross. Any interesting places to hang out in evening? We are not picky travelers, but I am thinking I want to be on the beach not across the street etc. We have a car so we can travel to fun destinations.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area is the best to stay in FT Lauderdale or Pompano?

You have more chances of being directly on the beach in Pompano Beach because most of the beach in Ft. Lauderdale is public so they don't have many hotels directly on the beach. If you want more excitement (bars/restaurants) and more national brand hotels, then you'd want Ft. Lauderdale. If you are okay with a slower pace and more mom and pop/smaller hotels then Pompano is your choice. Or you could look into Lauderdale-by-the-Sea which is a small city between Pompano and Ft. Lauderdale. I've been to the Sea Lord Hotel that's there to check it out for a friend who was thinking about visiting. It was a local hotel but they were extremely nice and the room they showed me was very nice. I think they have summer rates too. And it's directly on the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Pompano Beach
Pompano Beach
Broward County, FL
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Lauderdale by the Sea
Lauderdale by the Sea
Broward County, FL
Frankfort, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area is the best to stay in FT Lauderdale or Pompano?

So when you mention private beach....if you stayed in Pompano, can you walk the beach past your resort?

Mentioned in this post
Pompano Beach
Pompano Beach
Broward County, FL
Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area is the best to stay in FT Lauderdale or Pompano?

You can walk the beach in front of the resorts in Pompano. But there are no rules in Pompano about building on the beach so there are a lot of hotels sitting on the beach. In Ft. Lauderdale they have rules about raising buildings on the beach so you won't find many hotels on the beach; they're across the street. There are a couple of hotels in Ft. Lauderdale on the beach but I think it's because they're older and grandfathered in (don't think of 'older' as not well kemp-older just meaning just been there longer). In my opinion, while I really enjoy the beaches in Pompano, the beach in Ft. Lauderdale is great because there are very few buildings on it so you don't get building shadows as the day goes on.

Mentioned in this post
Pompano Beach
Pompano Beach
Broward County, FL
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
4. Re: What area is the best to stay in FT Lauderdale or Pompano?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 06:17