We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Day Budget Trip to Fort Lauderdale

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 Day Budget Trip to Fort Lauderdale

Hi,

Me and my wife are flying to Fort Lauderdale in a few days for a short 4 day trip including weekends on a very tight budget (grad students). This is the first vacation we have had in a long time and would like to make the most of it.

We will be staying in Hollywood. We won't be able to rent a car and plan to use the public transportation. What activities would you recommend and what places are must-visits around this area? We are looking for a more relaxing time, sightseeing and doing some photography. We would also like to spend at least a day at the Miami beach. We went through the "Day trips: Beach" and "Weekend trips: Family" recommendations and plan on doing some of the activities there.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,948 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Day Budget Trip to Fort Lauderdale

I would imagine getting to South Beach Miami from Hollywood would be very difficult and time consuming without a car. Hopefully a local will chime in and help you out on that one. To be honest if it is going to be difficult personally I wouldn't bother, Hollywood Beach is lovely IMO. You could get the water taxi to Fort Lauderdale and take a look around Stranahan House or Bonnet House. Take a look at sunny.org if you are visiting in summer they have some great 2 for 1 offers.

http://www.sunny.org/supersummer/

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,816 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Day Budget Trip to Fort Lauderdale

Where will you be staying in Hollywood?

Hollywood has the Broadwalk which is a pedestrian walkway with touristy shops and a variety of restaurants. As well, you also have A1A where you'll find LeTub (great hamburgers, but they only take cash), Flicker Light for "Chicago-style" pizza, Billy's Stone Crab, Gigi's, Taverna Opa (Greek), and a variety of other restaurants. There's also the Hollywood Trolley for $1.00/ride and if you want to see some of Florida's "nature", you can hop off at Ann Kolb Park or continue on to downtown Hollywood where you'll find more restaurants/bars/and some shops.

You can also take the water taxi to Fort Lauderdale. I'd change at stop #7 to the water taxi that will take you up the New River to the Las Olas Blvd. area. Las Olas is our "downtown" and it's a boulevard with an abundance of shops and restaurants.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,816 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Day Budget Trip to Fort Lauderdale

The super summer specials are really good but be sure to print off the coupon for the water taxi as well. I'm just thinking though, that if you're heading down "in a few days", you might not be able to get the cards in time. Just when will you be here?

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Day Budget Trip to Fort Lauderdale

I agree with the previous posters - skip Miami Beach and enjoy Hollywood and Ft. Lauderdale (via water taxi). Plenty to do with those choices and you would have a nice relaxing vacation. Public transportation isn't as accessible and easy to navigate in South Florida the way it is in DC and probably isn't worth the pain and time.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,948 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Day Budget Trip to Fort Lauderdale

If you are visiting before stone crab season Billy's is closed for renovations, it's not really a budget restaurant. There are plenty of small restaurants on the broadwalk which do pizza and a pitcher of beer or soda deals. I would advocate Le Tub, in fact I'm an addict! It's very rustic and at busy times the wait for your meal can be quite protracted. Capone's Flickerlite is next door to Le Tub, I thought the food was mediocre but I'm not a pizza fan, I had a burger and wished I was at Le Tub, but that is just a Brit's opinion, so possibly not a very valid one. I think I read on Le Tub's website that they now take credit cards.

http://www.theletub.com/

Washington DC...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Day Budget Trip to Fort Lauderdale

WOW! Thanks for all the replies everyone. Yesterday was a busy day! We are actually at Hollywood right now. We are staying at the Desoto Inn.

We are definitely going to go around on the water taxi. Printed out the summer pass and also got an additional one from the helpful people at Desoto.

The vacation is already starting to look good!

suewick: Extra thanks for LeTub. Will check it out today/tomorrow.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,816 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 Day Budget Trip to Fort Lauderdale

Enjoy your stay!!

8. Re: 4 Day Budget Trip to Fort Lauderdale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 05:16