We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dine Out Lauderdale

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Topic
Dine Out Lauderdale

I was looking at the calendar of events for the Ft. Lauderdale & Miami area & happened upon this. http://www.sunny.org/dineout/ When I performed a search here, the information I found was a few years old.

Anyway, we plan to spend 2 nights pre-cruise & 2 nights post-cruise at our place in Hallendale Beach. Fortunately, our dates fall within the dates for this event. We're fairly new to the area & are still working our way through the Hallendale Beach area. We haven't eaten at any Ft. Lauderdale restaurants yet. I'm hoping those of you who are familiar with the area can advise us on which 4 restaurants to choose. I've been researching the list a bit & Johnny V gets great reviews. I've already made a reservation there. Was that a good choice? How is Acquo 124 in Hallendale Beach? It would be very convenient, & we haven't tried it yet. We'd prefer the best food in a quieter atmosphere. We don't like loud restaurants, so we'd settle for food that's next best to avoid a really loud restaurant. This trip is for our 20th anniversary. Romantic restaurants would be nice. So, which 4 restaurants would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your suggestions. :-)

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
121 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dine Out Lauderdale

We think the best Ft. Lauderdale restaurant is Casa D'Angelo. We live in Lauderdale and had our 25th Anniversary dinner there.

Our last dinner at Steak 954 was excellent, with a good urban vibe of the kind we miss from our years in Manhattan.

Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dine Out Lauderdale

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like Steak 954 is on the list. I'll check it out. If Casa D'Angelo is that good, we'll make sure to try it soon.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,116 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dine Out Lauderdale

Some of the restaurants listed are some we we have tried and liked but not on Dine Out ( which often has a limited menu to choose from)

Quiet ones we have liked:

Grille 66

30303Ocean ( both of these are hotel dining rooms)

Trulucks

Tower Club ( on top of an office bldg- usually a private club)

Steak 954

ruths Chris

Morton's

Capital Grille ( all four are high end steak houses- Steak 954 is probably more 'trendy" than the others and sometimes attracts a younger party crowd depending on the night

Cafe Maxx and Johnny V are both good, but not really quiet- Cafe Maxx has major construction going on all around them at their strip mall which is being remodeled- we liked the food there best of any Dine Out place so far- lots of choices and very welcoming- they had little secluded booths but right now the atmosphere is very under construction Johnny V has a rather flamboyant owner and it is sometimes pretty loud in there.- good food though with a Southwestern accent

Some we do not like Mai Kai

e may try Grateful Palate once their menu is posted but last year they only offered one set entree ( salmon) and we like variety

We did not like Market 17 at all though it gets good reviews- our food was poorly prepared and the wait staff ( very thin young women dressed in tight black dresses and spike heels) were more concerned with appearance than service It waS quiet on the week night we went - only two other tables dining besides us and no one in our party wanted to return

North Ocean Grill at pelican Grande hotel is a pretty mediocre hotel dining room in our opinion

We want to try East End Brasserie which is fairly new and is also a hotel dining room ( at the Atlantic) and may try Via Luna at the Ritz-

Fifteenth Street Fisheries is a place we go often and I assume the Dine Out Menu is the same as their current $35 Prix Fixe which is pretty good, but we won't rush there for Dine Out as it is offered now anyway..

Word of Mouth has good food but it is counter service sort of- you order from deli cases and have it brought to you and very noisy with tile floors etc- we go for lunch , but don't like the atmosphere for dinner. Tundra is fairly new and sort of u nusual and does not seem to being doing much business with its "ice " theme- sort of strange -at least to us.

I know there are some others I may have forgotten- we like Coco's Asian Bistro but it is a bit noisy/crowded and we may try Dapur but their menu is not yet posted. Sea is a tiny storefront place in Lauderdale by the Sea that we also think will be good -as the chef has great local reputation but we have not gotten to it yet.

There may be afew others. .

Unfortunately many of these places include specially designed menus for this event and their most famous dishes are often not offered on it- and some only offer one or two choices which I don't generally like.- that reminds me of convention/banquet hall mass produced food..

Edited: 02 September 2012, 21:51
Florida
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dine Out Lauderdale

Thanks so much for the informative post. I will look into your suggestions. It's very helpful to know which restaurants are loud. It sounds like Johnny V's may not be for us. I'm glad I found out now. We are very adventurous diners, so we don't mind the limited menu. We'll try anything. Quality is more important to us, which usually makes these dining months perfect.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,820 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dine Out Lauderdale

I think you'll like Johnny V's if you sit outside. I like the food there but I haven't been during Dine Out Lauderdale. sunny.org/dineout has been updated with the restaurants participating in 2012. The restaurants I like are China Grill, East End Brasserie, Grateful Palate, Grille 66, ilios, Indigo, Johnny V, The Melting Pot, Morton's, Ruth's Chris, SAIA, Steak 954, 3030 Ocean (one of the best in Fort Lauderdale, IMO), Truluck's, Via Luna, Blue Moon Fish Company.

6. Re: Dine Out Lauderdale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2013, 10:16