We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cosmos Tour "Florida Discovery"

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
103 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Cosmos Tour "Florida Discovery"

I am planning a tour of Florida for 2013 and have been looking at this Cosmos Tour. Just wondering if anyone has been on this tour and how you would rate it. Would September or November be best for travelling in this area - hurricane season?? Any guidanance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,954 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cosmos Tour "Florida Discovery"

September can be rainy as in more rain than you normally get in a tropical climate. You should ecsape hurricanes by mid November. I've never heard of the tour, I presume it is something offered either in a travel brochure or by your travel agent. Is this what you mean?

globalcoachtours.com/t-floridadiscovery-2112…

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cosmos Tour "Florida Discovery"

Sue, I do know that Cosmos is a tour company that offers a variety of tours worldwide- both in Europe and the US. I'll take a look at it and post what I think- I'm not a big fan of guided bus tours in general- often the meals and hotels used are pretty 'institutional" but I'll see how this one looks- Cosmos has been in business a long time, so no problem with it's dependability.

I guess most who do this kind of thing do so because they are worried about the driving.aspect of the trip I'll tell the poster , that in reverse, my sister and I took a CIE tour of Ireland years ago starting in Shannon and spending two nights each in 'town and country homes'" aka B&B's. It was fine in that we did not have to worry about finding our way and driving 'on the other side of the road" but the food was so boring and even our driver told us we were getting 'The ABC Tour of Ireland" ( standing for another bloody castle).I hated being herded into shops along the way for pre arranged captive shopping. My sister and I sneaked out of the bland group meals on a few occasions and fled to a nearby pub for real food. I suspect the Cosmos tour is the USA equiv. of that . Ok for what it was , but if done again, I'd rather make my own tour schedule and choose my own hotels and meals.

Edited: 30 September 2012, 18:29
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cosmos Tour "Florida Discovery"

That's apparently the tour Sue- I took a quick look and noted that the hotel used here is the Sheraton Beach- certainly an ok hotel- but I do note that they have those 'less nice" rooms in their "annex" across the street and the tour bus group may well be put in those.. It just seems like lots of ground to cover in 10 days- a day here. another there- no visits to any theme parks in Orlando ( so I personally would add a couple of days on my own at one end or the other to at least see Disney. Highlight of the Ft. Lauderdale /Miami day appears to be a trip to Bayside Marketplace. one day driving down through the Keys to Key West etc.Just seems to me you'd be spending so much time on the bus and checking in and out of hotels- often for just one night.

It would not appeal to me- I'd personally pick one coast of Florida or the other- not both in one 10 day trip and want to spend a few days each at just three or so places- assuming I'd do the other coast another time- but I'm just not a fan of these marathon bus trips personally- but I don't know the poster's comfort zone- I assume it's their first trip here.

Edited: 30 September 2012, 19:04
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,954 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cosmos Tour "Florida Discovery"

I quite like the Bayside Market Place but do acknowledge that it's a tourist trap, and I would hardly call it the highlight of Miami let alone the highlight of Miami and Fort Lauderdale. In the knowledge that what I googled is what you are planning I think that in seeing so much your going to miss a lot, if that makes sense. You can't possibly get a feel for places on such a whirlwind tour. It may suit you to just get snippits of the state, but most of the places you are visiting need more time IMO. Personally I felt cheated at only spending a few hours in St Augustine, if I had known how nice it was I would have stayed longer.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
103 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cosmos Tour "Florida Discovery"

Thank you Sue for your comments and observations. I agree it is not much time to see such a vast area but at least it will enable us to see Florida and hopefully be able to return independently in the future to our favourite spots. Possibly we may be able to add on a few extra days extension at the end of the tour. Your advice is very much appreciated.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
103 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cosmos Tour "Florida Discovery"

Thank you Lulu - yes, this is the tour we've been looking at. This would be our first trip to Florida. As you say, it is mainly the driving that would stop us from doing this independently. Usually, I prefer to travel independently but in this case I think it might be too stressful and spoil the holiday. In 2012 there was an option of an add on of a few days in either St. Pete's Beach and /or Orlando, so we will probably opt for one of those if they are still included in the 2013 itinerary. They don't give an option of doing one or other of the Florida coasts. This is the only tour of Florida that seems to be available at the moment. Normally, I'm not a big fan of theme parks (have been to Disneyland Paris - not overly impressed) but I expect Disneyland Florida is much more impressive. I think it's probably my age !! 50+. If we did go to Disney, which theme park do you think would be best for our age group?

Sorry to hear of the over abundance of ABC's when you visited Ireland. I understand exactly what you mean and have experienced similar on tours of Europe which I don't do any more and prefer to arrange myself.

All your comments are very much appreciated.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cosmos Tour "Florida Discovery"

I prefer EPCOT myself of all the theme parks- but the Magic Kingdom is, I am told , much better than Disney Paris in every way and a gret deal larger . I hope you can take a couple of days and at least try those two and see some of the Disney hotels ( Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge are great spots just to walk through.)

We loved Ireland in spite of the castle overload- sectacular scenery and such friendly pubs!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,954 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cosmos Tour "Florida Discovery"

I preferred Universal Studios to Disney mainly because the rides were more exciting. You could do both Universal and Islands of Adventure in one day. Be prepared for an army of Brits and their unruly kids (that's the worse thing about Orlando). I doubt you will escape them at any of the theme parks. My favourite was MGM studios, I wasn't keen on Epcot, it was too educational for me. I suppose it depends on what you like, the Magic Kingdom has something for everyone.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cosmos Tour "Florida Discovery"

Magic Kingdom is truly magical and makes you feel like a kid. Animal Kingdom I found okay but not great. The Movie Studios have the best thrill rides. But EPCOT is my favorite because its a mix of educational and fun.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
103 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cosmos Tour "Florida Discovery"

Thank you all for taking the time to post your comments. They have all been very useful and much appreciated.