We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nascar weekend Nov 18th 2012

Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
Nascar weekend Nov 18th 2012

Will be staying in Pompano and heading to the Nascar race on Sunday the 18th in Homestead. Does anyone have any tips on traveling there and If any one maybe have a favorite Breakfast stop close by there. Thanks for your help Also was is the cost at the turn pikes and do you pay each way?

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nascar weekend Nov 18th 2012

Sorry I don't know about breakfast because Homestead is another world to me (it's 70 miles from Pompano). I'd recommend that you give yourself at least 2.5 hrs to get down there because the traffic will be thick as you get closer to the speedway.

You don't have to take the Turnoike down. There is a route on I-95 that is toll-less. If you do take the Turnpike, you'll need a SunPass because it is toll free down in that area. If you don't have a SunPass they'll take a photo of your license plate and send you a bill with an admin fee.

Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nascar weekend Nov 18th 2012

wow thank you for the heads up on how long it will take to get there. and on the SunPass

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nascar weekend Nov 18th 2012

Yes it's usually an hour and a half trip to get from Pompano to Homestead on a normal day with normal traffic.

And I need to ammend my comment - I meant to say if you take the Turnpike it's "cash-less" which means that there are no toll booths for you to drop money in. So that's why you'd want to take I-95 down if you don't have a SunPass. Enjoy your stay!

Edited: 03 October 2012, 14:39
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,240 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nascar weekend Nov 18th 2012

Are you driving your own car or a rental? If your own you might want to buy a Sunpass Mini transponder at a Publix or CVS store or arrival- if a rental , they can arrange for you to have a Sunpass ( or another system some rentals use that is the equiv) because I personally would suggest you take the Turnpike which is cashless through Miami as I-95 will be much busier and you must pay by Sunpass or be billed by your plate( not preferable) . I don't know much about Homestead either ( it will be a long drive and the traffic around the race will be very congested and check their website re parking which could be complicated and probably involves being shuttled in.) but when you take the Turnpike it dumps you out on US 1 in Homestead and from my memory there is a Cracker Barrel restaurant right there that serves delicious full breakfasts- of course it may be mobbed on that morning- you may be better off dining in Pompano before you go. Knowing exactly where in Pompano you

will be starting from might help us advise better. That really is along drive. and 3hrs would be my suggestion- to be on the safe side and because I suspect parking will be complicated- definitely check the race website to make sure you don't need a parking reservation..

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,387 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nascar weekend Nov 18th 2012

We always get to the track early (for any race). If you take I-95 look for Cracker Barrel for breakfast as suggested above. They have decent southern style food. Love their cheese potatoes. By getting to the track early you will have time to walk around to the trailers before the race starts plus finding a good parking spot will be easier.

There are 2 parking areas that I know of, one is general parking and is also where the RV's park. The other one is on the back side of the track. From what I understand that is where the reserved parking is but then you have to take the shuttle around to the entrance to the track. There is a backway out of the track that actually dumps you out in Florida city where you can jump on the turnpike to head back to Pompano. It is quicker than trying to get out the other way but they don't always let you out that direction.

Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nascar weekend Nov 18th 2012

Thank you for your help. We like to get to the tracks early too. We will be staying off South Ocean Beach in Pompano. Do you advise to take the I-95 or Turpike to get there from that area? We are From Calif. so would like to have a seenic way maybe being our first time here Maybe. thanks

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,387 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nascar weekend Nov 18th 2012

Turnpike is quicker but neither are scenic going to the track. If you have plenty of time from Pompano Beach take A1A until South Beach in Miami. Take the MacArthar Causeway across (I think this is also the 836) to the turnpike. Use mapquest or googlemaps for approx mileage and drive time. Also google the track website for directions as it should give you the correct exit. Some of the locals would probably know a back way in.

Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nascar weekend Nov 18th 2012

Thank you born....we might take you up on that route. The race is 3:00 so we are not in a Huge hurry if we start out early. Thank you.

Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nascar weekend Nov 18th 2012

Can someone tell me how the sunpasses work for the Turnpike and where we can buy them in Pompano...Thank you

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nascar weekend Nov 18th 2012

SunPass is a device that you load with cash or credit card and post in your car window. When you go through the toll booth, the amount is deducted from your balance. If you're a regular visitor the you should get a regular SunPass that has suction cups. It is more expensive (about $25 plus what you would load for your balance). If you don't visit a lot then get the Mini SunPass. It sticks on your windshield (you can peel it off after you leave, if you choose but you can't reattach it) and costs $4.99 before you load and they'll give you a credit of $4.99 on your balance when you load.

To load with cash you would go into a participating location. To load with a credit card you set up your account online and you can load through your account. It doesn't take more than 30 minutes for your account to update. You can purchase the SunPass at Publix or CVS and they also sell them at the Turnpike rest stops.

To view where to load with cash or for more info you can go to www.sunpass.com.