We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Butterfly World - without rental car

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Visit Butterfly World - without rental car

We're spending one night in Ft Lauderdale at the Embassy Suites on 17th prior to a cruise, and will have the best part of a Saturday for a little sight seeing. Interested in visiting Butterfly World, but will not have a rental car - we plan to take a taxi from the airport and then to the port the next morning.

Any recommendations regarding the best mode of transportation from the hotel to BW and back? I'm thinking it might be more economical to rent a car for the day, but not sure if I want the hassle.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit Butterfly World - without rental car

A taxi would be prohibitively expensive from 17th Street (Ft. Lauderdale) to Butterfly World in Pompano Beach.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit Butterfly World - without rental car

In my opinion it's not worth the taxi rental. It's 20 miles each way which would have to be about $50 each way. Butterfly World isn't that exciting. Did you want to go for a particular reason? Maybe we can suggestion somewhere else if you're traveling with children.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit Butterfly World - without rental car

No children, just me & my mom. (Celebrating her 80th birthday with a little trip.) I didn't have my heart set on Butterfly World, just thought it sounded like something we'd both enjoy.

Thanks for the information, $50 each way is a little steep.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit Butterfly World - without rental car

Look into visiting Bonnet House or Stranahan House. Both are in Ft. Lauderdale and are historic houses. Bonnet House has a lot of interesting art and gardens.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit Butterfly World - without rental car

Hello Bon2,

I think you and your mother would like the Carrie B sightseeing cruise. It takes you along nice stretches of the Intracoastal Waterway with beautiful houses lining the banks and around the harbor where the huge cruise ships are anchored. There are some nice views of the city. Inside and outside seating. The cruises are narrated and last 1 1/2 hours. The cruise boast leave from the Las Olas area of Fort Lauderdale. Nice boats, good narration. If you are there on a Friday, you could get a coupon out of the Sun Sentinel newspaper.

Their web site: http://www.carriebcruises.com/

Enjoy your stay!

Spirit

6. Re: Visit Butterfly World - without rental car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 20:19