We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Airlines

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Spirit Airlines

Over the years I have seen manynegative comments about Spirit airlines. However, I see they have very cheap fares from minneapolis to Fort lauderdale or Ft. Myers. I know you have to join their club and also have to pay for any luggage including carry-ons /right?

Can anyone share their experiences, good or bad and do the fares really work if you join their club for $57 a year?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
495 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit Airlines

I live in Chicago and have family in Atlantic City, New Jersey where I am originally from. Both airports are serviced by Spirit and fly to FLL.

I am a member of their $9 fare club. I am also a member with American and use them most often. I use Spirit mostly to go from Chicago to Atlantic City rather than Philadelphia and also will fly A. C. to FLL.

Spirit is not the best but I do think it gets a bad rap. Sometimes their prices are too good to pass up and I will use them. They do nickel and dime you but I have found it is still cheaper and more convienent to use them over my usual American Airlines.

So to answer your question, I think it is worth it to join. Look at your local flight schedules and do what is best for you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spirit Airlines

I would read the reviews for the airline. I looked into flying with them to fort lauderdale but after reading numerous reviews and articles from newspapers,I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. However, every person is different and people do fly the airline.

But be aware:

They are notorious for canceling flights,having crew shortages, and long delays and cancelling flights for no reason.They have been rated the worst airline in USA.

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/spirit.htm

They have 2,000-3,000 complaints filed with the BBB.

They charge extra for carry-on , luggage, and for printing boarding passes at airports. Overall when you add in all the additional costs with the cost of the ticket it's not that much cheaper than the regular airlines.

Hope that helps!

Edited: 12 January 2013, 16:18
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spirit Airlines

In 2010 they did make #2 for worst airline in the world

businessinsider.com/…

ibtimes.com/why-spirit-worst-airline-america…

Edited: 12 January 2013, 16:23
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,579 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spirit Airlines

Well Bob , we have , as I sometimes say, flown Spirit twice , the first time and the last time- to a family wedding in Detriot. I thought it was a dirty plane and after standing in an eternal line where desk personnel were arguing with countless customers about baggage and seat assignments and basically telling them to go to hell, decided it was not worth it to ever do again-many of the customers seemedd to be low income , non English speaking who had no idea what the rules were and were toting giant taped up boxes and big suitcases for which they would be charged a fortune and had no monery to pay it.- we were aware of the limits but it sure held up check in to watch the soap opera and the fights- it waspretty third world.

Coming from where you do in WI where many flights are cancelled because of weather , you need to be aware that no other airline accepts their tickets your flight is delayed or cancelled and so you could wait days to get on a palne if that happens and hotel bills wouild be on you.. I might try them in the summer if fares were really low, but I sure would not risk it in the winter.

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spirit Airlines

Looks like Spirit goes on the list with Advantage car rental

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,135 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spirit Airlines

Interesting to read. I have had both good and bad experiences with Spirit. Most recently I flew FLL to Costa Rica with no problems. Did the express boarding on line the night before. Upon arrival at FLL I was able to just drop my bag and go to the gate. Returning from SJO there was about a 15 minute wait in line and the flight was delayed about 30 minutes. Not unlike a similar exp with American 6 mos earlier. Great price and my carry on was at no charge (it must fit under the seat). My one checked bag was $50 each way which is also similar to other airlines.(*40 lb weight limit, I exceeded it by 3 lbs at no charge) Not sure about low income people flying Spirit? I just like to save $ when I can to spend at my destination.

My last flight on Spirit from FLL was about 2.5 years earlier. That time there were endless lines and disorganization. From my exp FLL has dealt with the major problems. Larger ck in area, increased Agents and advance ck in. Won't hesitate to fly that route with them again this Spring. Of course luckily both places are not known for bad winter weather and I'm not on a tight schedule where delays spell disaster.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
29,238 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spirit Airlines

Spirit, Fox Rental yes and Advantage Rental wouldnt ever consider any of these disappointments.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spirit Airlines

The baggage fees were expensive. There was absolutely NO customer service. When I arrived to Ft. Lauderdale, it was the most chaotic scene I have ever experienced at an airport. None of the employees for Spirit knew what the other was doing, or seemed to have a knowledgeable procedure for booking departing flights. I was told 3 different times to move to another line so they could close the one I was in. Then I was told to use the kiosk for "self" check in, which was a nightmare! There was a problem with my ticket because I was going to pick up my minor child in Dallas. But because I didn't have her for the departing flight, they made me stand in line again to speak with an agent! It was a good thing that I got there early! The staff was rude all across the board. There are even more bad experiences with them that I've had as well.

Zumbro Falls, Mn
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Spirit Airlines

About printing the boarding passes, they charge only if you have the agent do it. They have automated terminals at the airport where you can easily print your boarding passes at for free. Just punch in your reservation and it spits out your pass, no charge.

Also, you can fit a nice size bag under the seat. They have the measurements on the website but the box at the airport seems to be a tad bigger. As long as it fits in the box, you don't pay.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Spirit Airlines

Just a plug for Spirit. Have flown them about 5 times in the past 3 years on different routings. No problems, so maybe I shouldn't say anything? ha ha

Most recently was last month, ORD-MCO - flight was on time, plane was nice inside, drink service (not free) was good, and even after paying for 1 checked bag and for an upgraded/exit row seat, I still saved $60 over the other options AND flew at the time of day (mid-morning) that I preferred…