We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40th bday trip hotels choices

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
553 reviews
Save Topic
40th bday trip hotels choices

I'm planning a girls 40th bday trip in July and we're leaning towards Ft Lauderdale. We want a hotel on the sand preferably but across the street or within the block will work, too. We'd like to be walking distance to dining/shopping/bars. We've priced and are considering the following: The Atlantic, B Ocean, Hilton, The Pillars, Sheraton, Marriot, Lago Mar. All of these appear to be on the beach but I'm not sure which might be well located for dining and entertainment.

We'd appreciate any help with hotels and any restaurant/sightseeing/entertainment recommendations!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,346 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 40th bday trip hotels choices

Pillars is a few blocks from the beach , not across from it and while it is a beautiful spot, it is a small boutique style hotel that I would say is more suited to honeymoons and couples visits than girlfriend reunions- I think the only two bedded room there is 2 twin beds- the other rooms as far as I know have either one king or one queen and the bathrooms are luxurious but very small.

I'd take Lago Mar off the list too , though lovely it is down a long access road and really not easy to walk to anything.

For the Sheraton, you have to be careful which room you choose as there are some less satisfactory rooms in what is referred to by many reviewers as the Annex- a part of the Parking garage area- and the lowest priced rooms are often situated there- and those generally get poor reviews.

If a pool is important to you, you should eliminate the B Ocean as theirs is very poor and small. I think I would add Courtyard Beach and Gallery One Doubletree to your remaining choices.

Edited: 30 January 2013, 15:56
Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 40th bday trip hotels choices

Thank you Lulu! Those are the types of details it's hard to figure out not knowing the area and going by the hotel/resort photos!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,030 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 40th bday trip hotels choices

The Westin or the W might suit too. I would agree with everything Lulu has said.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 40th bday trip hotels choices

The Hilton is really nice, especially the Jr. And 1 BR suites. You can see what the rooms look like on the Hilton site. Of all the hotels across the street from the beach, this one has the nicest pool.

Marriott is really nice as well, with beautiful grounds and pool, and directly on the beach. Rooms are nice but just average size. It's not as central, but an easy walk to places like Bahia Cabana for casual meals and drinks, and also to the water taxi.

I love Lago Mar but you would have to take short cab rides to restaurants and bars.

I stayed at Atlantic last year and the rooms are beautiful, but didn't really find the staff very friendly or accommodating , and nothing special about the pool area. I would still choose it over Sheraton, B, Westin, or W though.

5. Re: 40th bday trip hotels choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 05:18