We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Beach Resort or W Hotel

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
165 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Westin Beach Resort or W Hotel

Looking for opinion on which hotel to stay at. Same price for the weekend that we will be there. Adults only trip. Please let me know, hotel quality, beach, pool and dining. Which is nicer?

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin Beach Resort or W Hotel

I'll add the caveat that I've only seen the public areas of both hotels, although I don't like the dark interior of the W, if the price is the same as the Westin, I'd go with the W. It's more centrally located, newer and probably has better restaurants/facilities, but as I've never used any of them I'm guessing on that one. The Westin is the old Sheraton Yankee Trader, it's nice but I think the W is probably nicer for the price.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin Beach Resort or W Hotel

I agree with Sue. While neither would be my 1st choice, I'd pick W over Westin because it is newer, has a better pool area, and has balconies (stand out only at Westin). Just be prepared that the lobby is DARK...like being in a cave. I guess they think that's hip and cool, but I hate it.

chicago
Level Contributor
165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin Beach Resort or W Hotel

Jd3,

What hotel would be your first choice?

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin Beach Resort or W Hotel

My favorite 3 are:

Lago Mar: Private Beach, nice pools, 1 BR suites, beautiful grounds. A little more secluded. Free parking. Short cab ride to restaurants and shops.

Marriott Harbor Beach: private beach, beautiful pool and grounds, average rooms. Walkable to some restaurants and water taxi.

Hilton Beach: my favorite of the hotels across the street from the beach. Nice rooms with balconies(Esp the jr. And 1 BR suites), nice pool and hot tubs. More central location.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin Beach Resort or W Hotel

I say the W. Gorgeous.

Weirton, WV
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin Beach Resort or W Hotel

THE W....hands down

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,816 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin Beach Resort or W Hotel

I think the W is a great hotel - but it is dark when you come in from the portecochiere - the lobby is actually on the 4th floor, the "living room" as they call it, and it is brighter. That said, be prepared that if you get a king bedded room, there's an opening between the bedroom and bathroom, so privacy is minimal. For some people that's not a problem. For others, it is. Weekends are typically crazy busy there and the restaurant, Steak 954) is great, as is Whiskey Blue (Blu?).

I think JD3's suggestion of the Hilton Beach is a great choice...love the rooms there!

8. Re: Westin Beach Resort or W Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2014, 05:16