We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from ireland to florida

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
limerick
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
from ireland to florida

hi my boyfriend and were thinking of visiting florida this year in July. we were tolf fort Lauderdale was one of the best places to stay. i was just wondering could anyone give us a name of a good place to stay that would be near the good nightlife spots and the nice beaches, we were also hoping to go up to disney land for a day, what would be the best/cheapest way to travel?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,702 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from ireland to florida

What's your budget ? A rental car would offer the best freedom getting to the theme parks...

limerick
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from ireland to florida

the budget isnt huge im afraid, would be pretty nervous about driving in america, it is very different to irish roads i would imagine

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,702 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from ireland to florida

understood, you might like something along Ft. Lauderdale beach, the local DE's should chime in soon with some good ideas, in the mean time try searching the forums for info on bus trips to Orlando or one of the theme parks, if I can find it I'll post the link.

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from ireland to florida

go to sunny.org and you will find all kinds of information about fort lauderdale.You can take a cab to smaller motels and walk from there or use the sun trolley for transportation. Anything across the street or on the beach will be expensive. we usually stay at a smaller motel and walk tthe 4 or 5 blocks to the beach.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,580 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: from ireland to florida

Fort Lauderdale to Disneyworld is about 210 miles -

a 3 hour drive non-stop one way

How long are planning to stay in Florida 1 week or 2 ???

Weather in July is hot and humid, expect rain every day

between 2 and 4pm for 1 hour

see.......ACCUWEATHER.COM /

from Fort Lauderdale you could take a day cruise to the Bahamas

there are reviews here on Trip ....just Google for info.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 03:02
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,348 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: from ireland to florida

For Fort Lauderdale, summer is "low" season, so you can find better lodging rates than in winter and early spring. The beach is quite long and varies from quiet to busy, so local experts can be quite helpful. Fort Lauderdale Airport has been successful at swiping airlines from Miami International Airport.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,116 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: from ireland to florida

The only day cruise to the Bahamas from Ft. Lauderdale these days is a catamaran ferry - Bahmas Express that goes to Freport- the reviews have been dreadful both for comfort and customer service- most reviewers say never again

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34227-d37…

I really think you would find it difficult to get to Disney unless you drove a rental car- public trasportation to get there from here is is poor. It's a 3-4 hr drive each way so certainly not really a day trip and the tickets for a one day park admission run almost $100 per poerson just to get in.. lots of money to spend for a few hours in the park with the long lines of summer visitors- you would hardly see any of it. so I would say either plan to go to Orlando or Ft. Lauderdale- but probably not both if driving is an issue. Busses from here go to Orlando, but not the area near the Disney parks so a taxi would be needed as well on arrival and the trip by bus is even slower than by car.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,702 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: from ireland to florida

Ive only ever made the day trip as part of a school field trip so this link is little more than an google search: http://www.orlando-day-trips.com/ I have no first hand experience with the company

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: from ireland to florida

For a first time visit to Florida in the summer I don't think southern Florida without a car is the way to go. Firstly to enjoy everything Florida offer you need to bite the bullet and drive, even if you decide to stay in Orlando (which I would actually suggest) a car would make things so much easier. Summers in Orlando and nearby beaches are slightly cooler and less humid, it will rain in the afternoons. Also as there are lots of tourist in Orlando local drivers seem to allow for "mistakes". If you plan to visit for 2 weeks I would suggest a week in Orlando and a week in Clearwater, St Petersburg or Cocoa Beach. The theme parks in Orlando and ridiculously expensive but a lot of fun, you can't possibly enjoy them to a full on a day trip, they are huge and there are a lot of them.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,702 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: from ireland to florida

If you're on a budget you may want to consider booking a room thru airbnb.com, its not the 'season' in July so you may find some deals, some people even include bikes for your use...