We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice hotel near water taxi & beach

Georgia
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nice hotel near water taxi & beach

I'm looking for a 4 star hotel near the water taxi and beach. Some options I've looked at are Bahia Mar & Pier 66. We are planning to go out to Las Olas in the evening or nice restaurants and bars. Any recommendations?

Mentioned in this post
Las Olas Beach
Las Olas Beach
1,535 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach - a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel
Bahia Mar Fort...
4,258 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
495 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice hotel near water taxi & beach

Bahia Mar would be closer to the beach than Pier 66. Both have water taxi stops nearby.

I like YOLO and Big City on Las Olas.

Mentioned in this post
Las Olas Beach
Las Olas Beach
1,535 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Bahia Mar Fort...
4,258 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
YOLO
YOLO
780 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Big City Tavern
Big City Tavern
708 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice hotel near water taxi & beach

I live in South FL and you could stay at the Marriott Beach Place which is right on the beach and 1 block away from where the water taxi picks up. Also, if you're looking at luxury, there is the new Hilton right on the beach or W Hotel also located right on A1A near where the water taxi picks up.

Mentioned in this post
South Beach
South Beach
17,105 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Beach Place Hotel
Beach Place Hotel
532 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort
Hilton Fort Lauderdale...
5,635 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
121 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice hotel near water taxi & beach

Nice hotel at the beach: Try the W, the Hilton, the Ritz Carlton, the Atlantic. Marriott Beach Place is fine inside the units that I've seen but the elevator entry and the Beachplace retail in my humble opinion take several stars off what I would describe as a nice place. You basically enter thru a Hooters; the place is like a continual Mardi Gras (well not really but you get the idea).

Downtown Las Olas nice restaurants/bars: YOLO, Johnny V (best of the lot), Grille 401, Timpano's. Walk up and down the commercial strip (3rd Avenue to 15th Avenue) and peek in several.

Mentioned in this post
Las Olas Beach
Las Olas Beach
1,535 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
5,635 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
The Atlantic Hotel & Spa
The Atlantic Hotel & Spa
2,133 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Beach Place Hotel
Beach Place Hotel
532 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,282 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice hotel near water taxi & beach

I agree with Chesterb2000 the Beach Place would put me off the Marriott too. There have been reports of thefts from vehicles in the underground parking garage there too. I would pick somewhere else.

Mentioned in this post
Beach Place Hotel
Beach Place Hotel
532 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,202 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice hotel near water taxi & beach

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Bahia Mar last month and thought it was nice. We were in an Ocean View room in the Tower, with a nice view of Port Everglades. Several times we were able to watch ships maneuvering in the channel as they departed on cruises. The hotel was very close to the Water Taxi stop at the Bahia Mar Marina, and you can purchase tickets at the nearby Bahia Cabana (cash only!). The walkway over the A1A was nice to have, and there were a lot of things to do in nearby South Beach Park.

The biggest negatives to me were the on-site restaurant (Breezes) which we only had breakfast at once (expensive and food was not that great) and the daily cost for parking (although most hotels in the area seem to charge for that). The room itself was very nice and we would definitely stay there again.

-JimG

Mentioned in this post
Water Taxi
Water Taxi
5,274 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Bahia Mar Fort...
4,258 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Bahia Cabana Beach Resort
Bahia Cabana Beach Resort
312 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,581 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice hotel near water taxi & beach

Hilton or Bahia Mar Doubletree would be my picks, definitely a big no to Beach Place for all the reasons given above- .It's one of my least favorite hotels on the beach. Hilton is a short walk to Water Taxi but such a lovely place it's worth it while Bahia Mar is certainly less elaborate ( Hilton is all suite) but would work too and is closer to WT. If you pick Bahia Mar upgrade your room- some of the lowest priced ones are in an "annex" and are not at all nice. Marriott Courtyard would work too- very convenient to Beach Place's Water Taxi stop and nicer than Beach Place.

Mentioned in this post
Water Taxi
Water Taxi
5,274 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
5,635 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Bahia Mar Fort...
4,258 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Beach Place Hotel
Beach Place Hotel
532 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,899 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice hotel near water taxi & beach

Bahia Mar is in no way a 4-star property (more like maybe 3 star) and Lulu was right when she said to upgrade! If you didn't want to be on or near the beach, I'd suggest the Riverside Hotel. It's on Las Olas Blvd. and is a real gem! With a number of great restaurants within walking distance, and a water taxi stop behind the hotel, it can be an ideal location!

Otherwise, for 4+ star on the beach, your choices are Westin Beach Resort, The W, Hilton Beach Resort, The Atlantic, and Harbor Beach Marriott, a two-block walk to WT and the 3 1/2 star Courtyard by Marriott.

Mentioned in this post
Las Olas Beach
Las Olas Beach
1,535 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Bahia Mar Fort...
4,258 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
1,681 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale
The Westin Beach Resort...
3,854 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
5,635 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
The Atlantic Hotel & Spa
The Atlantic Hotel & Spa
2,133 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice hotel near water taxi & beach

We recently had the same question and decided to stay at The Pillars. We typically stay at larger, beachfront properties and like the idea of staying at a smaller property on the Intracoastal. The Pillars is also on the water taxi route and appears to have a good restaurant. We're looking forward to our stay and are anxious to try the restaurants recommended above.

Mentioned in this post
The Pillars Hotel Fort Lauderdale
The Pillars Hotel Fort...
1,079 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,899 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice hotel near water taxi & beach

The Pillars is a very nice, upscale property. Everyone who has stayed there in the past has loved it.

Mentioned in this post
The Pillars Hotel Fort Lauderdale
The Pillars Hotel Fort...
1,079 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
10. Re: Nice hotel near water taxi & beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2014, 05:17