We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August heat! Sunpass!

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
322 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
August heat! Sunpass!

We often visit FL in January when the weather is great but this year we would also like to visit in Summer. Are we mad to want to go to Florida in August? We know it will be humid but is it worth putting up with this to be able to go in the sea without shivering? We like to go over to Naples also, is it as hot on both coasts?

Also Lulutoo we haven't heard much about the Sunpass recently, has anything changed over the last 18 months? (we had long discussions a couple of years ago). Do we still need one if we just intend to travel from the airport to FL and stay there until returning to the airport? Thanks in advance.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,880 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August heat! Sunpass!

August can mean hurricane's, that would be my only hesitation. It will be hot and humid on both coasts. Naples may be a few degrees cooler but not that much.

Sunpass is the same, it's required for express lanes and cashless toll roads found in and around Miami.

Edited: 17 April 2013, 20:40
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,128 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August heat! Sunpass!

Hurricane season is June thru November, I'll be there in June and probably October and I normally manage to pack some kind of bad weather with me. I won't be there in August so I'm sure you'll be just fine. I would check with your car rental agency regarding tolls and passes. There are no tolls from FLL to the beach in Fort Lauderdale and I think possibly only one en route to Naples and that is from memory, I haven't been to Naples in years.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August heat! Sunpass!

At least it won't be as busy in August : ) I wouldn't worry about hurricanes. Get some travel insurance just in case but otherwise drink a lot of water, put on some sunscreen and you should be fine.

As for SunPass, you don't need one in Ft. Lauderdale as there aren't toll roads here. You don't need one to get to Naples either. There are attendants at the toll booth heading over and there's no toll on the way back from Naples.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,880 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August heat! Sunpass!

I-75 west and east bound cash tolls are $3.00 each way

Lake Orion, Michigan
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August heat! Sunpass!

We stayed in Ft. Lauderdale in August once. Never again. The ocean temp was almost ninety degrees in the early afternoon. The sand was so hot the hotel had a soaker hose running down to the water. A big storm blew in and deposited tons of seaweed and cruise ship debris on the beach. Wasn't cleaned up and had a terrible stink. Not sure who is supposed to clean the beaches. For us, May is the best time to visit Florida

6. Re: August heat! Sunpass!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 07:18