We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 year old- Everglades Airboat Rides

Washington State
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
1 year old- Everglades Airboat Rides

My boy will be 11 months old on our trip. Is an airboat ride an option? Is it safe? Any recommendations ?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,344 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 year old- Everglades Airboat Rides

very safe, though hearing protection for the little one would be a MUST in my book

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,304 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 year old- Everglades Airboat Rides

Safe I agree, but VERY noisy and I think many toddlers would find it very upsetting. A screaming child on an airboat would be a downer as the boat cannot be stopped if he becomes terrified. IT also can be a hot and buggy day. Not a great idea for one that young IMO.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 year old- Everglades Airboat Rides

I wouldn't do it for two reasons. First the bugs. Second because of what has already been mentioned - the fact that you'll be in the middle of nowhere with an infant. Babies Arent very patient when they need a diaper changed, get hungry or tired, etc. I would wait until my child was at least 4 or 5 for that experience.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
1,093 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 year old- Everglades Airboat Rides

We did it with my son when he was that age and he slept through the whole ride! For some reason the loud noise like a vacuum cleaner puts some kids to sleep. We couldn't believe anyone could sleep thru the noise, but it's true.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,240 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 year old- Everglades Airboat Rides

For the sake of other passengers don't do it. Just in case the child screams all the way through the ride. Normally the boat captains give a narrative when the boat stops at an area where gator sighting is likely which in my experience is very informative but difficult to listen to above the noise of a yelling child.

6. Re: 1 year old- Everglades Airboat Rides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Fort Lauderdale