We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Lauderdale - Should I go Memorial Day Weekend?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Fort Lauderdale – Should I go Memorial Day Weekend?

Originally wanted to go to Miami MDW but since it’s Urban week that’s not happening. Is it worth going to Fort Lauderdale? How are the crowds? Can somebody recommend a hotel that’s close to the beach and the best nightlife.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Lauderdale – Should I go Memorial Day Weekend?

How far is the W Hotel from the beaches/nightlife?

Thanks in advance

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,240 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Lauderdale – Should I go Memorial Day Weekend?

Right in the middle of everything and just across the street from 6 miles of beach.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,240 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Lauderdale – Should I go Memorial Day Weekend?

You might be interested in this city sponsored party on that Saturday - an easy walk down the beach from the W

http://www.fortlauderdale.gov/gabp/index.htm

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
495 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Lauderdale – Should I go Memorial Day Weekend?

Given your circumstances, I would say the "W" stands for wise choice.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Lauderdale – Should I go Memorial Day Weekend?

If you do not like what has happened to miami south beach MDW, then you will not like fort lauderdale beach as that crowd has been creeping in over the years. Unless you book around the W and stay put or head north should you want to go for a stroll.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort Lauderdale – Should I go Memorial Day Weekend?

Evan William N - you are incorrect. Ft. Lauderdale, while it has a diverse crowd, is not not like Urban Weekend in any way, shape or form. Diversity means people of different colors, ages and sexual orientations. It doesn't mean that people are misbehaving.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,240 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fort Lauderdale – Should I go Memorial Day Weekend?

Evan William is so off the wall with that inaccurate comment. There is nothing going on on Ft. Lauderdale Beach that in any way compares to the situation at Urban Beach .. no one need have any concern about enjoying the beach here.. If by 'that crowd" he means people of color, it's an offensive bigoted comment. Beach goers here are , in my experience, very well behaved no matter what race they are.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fort Lauderdale – Should I go Memorial Day Weekend?

Evan has one post - that makes him an "expert" on Fort Lauderdale? He's in New York and has no idea what's happening here. What the heck??

Lulu is the expert so just listen to her.....and, by the way, were you here this weekend? Did you have a good time?

Edited: 27 May 2013, 23:59
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fort Lauderdale – Should I go Memorial Day Weekend?

People, I'm just posting through experience. I've had a condo in South Beach from 2002 - 2005 and one on A1A in FL from 2005 and on. I fly down at least once per month. This particular past MDW was a Sh*t show. By "crowds" I mean drunken, misbehaving teenage and young adult males and females. On Sunday, the "crowds" decided to lauch bottles at the police officers stationed and Public Beach and later on that night there was a shooting in which 2 were shot and one died. These kids thought it would be cool (on Monday) to stage a Flash Mob at the CVS which turned in a smash and grad. Cops rushed in, drunken teens by the thousands were running for their lives and not caring it they trampled over old people, young kids etc.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,010 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fort Lauderdale – Should I go Memorial Day Weekend?

I was the for Memorial weekend and enjoyed the Beach Party, I didn't think it was sh@t at all, in fact it was much better than I expected. I did hear that the beach was closed by the police in the early hours of Monday morning because of some minor disturbances but I don't know the details.