We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre Cruise Hotel

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Trinidad
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Pre Cruise Hotel

Would appreciate some recommendations with regards to some cheap hotels/bed & breakfast pre cruise hotels in Fort Lauderdale. Cruising on January 8th 2014.

Thanks...

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre Cruise Hotel

Nowhere decent is going to be cheap in January. How much does cheap mean?

Trinidad
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre Cruise Hotel

I would say reasonable prices not exceeding 120.00 per night

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre Cruise Hotel

I'm sorry to say Sue is correct that it is high season and $120 will get you very little. Bed and Breakfast accommodations are really not common here- more common are small locally owned "Mom and Pop" motels that may or may not serve breakfast ( most do not) and very few motels here include breakfast- especially lower end ones.

I searched on your date and found only a handful of places at that rate- most dirty, shabby and/or and poorly located ( like Travelodge on the Beach ($119) , one of the worst in town). There are a few Mom and Pop places pretty far north of the Port that are older and rather shabby like Galt Villas ($110) and Sundeck ( $95) and a few places out on Rt 84 that are in bad locations or pretty shabby like Candlewood Suites and the ( yuk) Rodeway Inn- it inclues breakfast and is only $89 but I think it's an armpit. In those two places you would be in for the night there is no place safe or nice to walk to near them for any meals- Rodeway has it's own "restaurant " on site, but I would not eat there.It is like warehouse for cruisers willing to put up with annoyance and discomfort for a cheap room.

There area few locally owned places on the beach that are old but clean like Winterset ($129 - no breakfast). Most beach area places do not have an airport shuttle so it would cost $20-30 for a taxi from FLL and at least $15-20 for a taxi back to the Port if you choose one of those.

In January which is snowbird season and when there are as many as a dozen ships in port at one time , hotels charge premium rates.

I think you will have to seriously rethink your budget.

NC
Level Contributor
838 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre Cruise Hotel

I completely agree with the above posts. Nothing decent in the FLL area for $120.00 a night. You will either be staying in a less desirable hotel or you'll need to bump your budget up.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre Cruise Hotel

Point taken, thanks for the advice so can I get some recommendations on hotels near to the cruise port.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre Cruise Hotel

The more reasonable priced accommodation on 17th ST near one Port entrance would be Hyatt Place ( actually on SE 10th ST but just off 17th), Holiday Inn Express Convention Center ( not HI Airport/Cruiseport which is out on a a highway- the Port is right next to the Convention Center , and Extended Stay. Theer is also a Comfort Inn& Suites on 17th St that I would not have even mentioned in the past- but it has new management that seems to have solved some problems there- read recent reviews to be sure of that - but if a bad review is a year or more old I'd discount it. They have made some changes.

There is another entrance to the Port south of that and hotels near it include a fairly reasonable and nice Fairfield Inn and Suites ( Griffin Rd) but it is in an "industrial" area with no nearby dining or shopping ( unlike 17th St which has both) - if you are staying a while and need those things , it would not be a good choice. IT's fine for coming in late one night, having breakfast and leaving..

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre Cruise Hotel

You might try the Holiday Inn Express on State(I believe) street. Look up Holiday Inn Express in Ft. Lauderdale and it will tell you that it is a cruise hotel. We have stayed there twice and it was what we needed..just a place to rest our heads before the cruise. They will pick you up at the airport and also take you to the cruise depot. I believe it will be in your price range.

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
882 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre Cruise Hotel

Wow. That time of year is expensive. I took a look at your dates and saw the Extended Stay Cruiseport for $154 and the Crowne Plaza Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise for $159. The Hyatt Place on 17th street is $211!!!! I stayed at the Extended Stay Cruiseport years ago and it was fine for me. There are no frills, but the location is handy for shopping, breakfast, an ice cream cone, and getting to the cruise. Crowne Plaza might be fancier but it is more isolated. Just my dos pesos.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre Cruise Hotel

I suspect the poster above was trying to recommend the Holiday Inn Express on State Rd 84- which is the Airport/Cruiseport one. It is fine if you are just coming in to sleep at night, but there is not much around it in the way of nicer restaurants or things to do so not good if you want to be able to enjoy the tourist area. The hotel itself is well kept. I just think the location is poor. I agree with Florid a1 above that Crowne Plaza, even though it is nice hotel is again poorly located for things to do and dining around it and I would choose the Extended Stay based on location.- can't beat those ice cream cones at Cold Stone Creamery right near it.-and there are so many restaurant choices near it and the Sun Trolley to take you to the beach in minutes.

Florida1's "dos pesos" are worth much more than that- she lived here for a long time and knows the area well ( we miss you Florida 1).

Edited: 08 June 2013, 02:51
Trinidad
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre Cruise Hotel

Thanks for all the information and advice on the hotels, this forum is the greatest, I must say don't travel without first checking on tripadvisor....... Was looking at some B&B, and Oasis Motel ranked #4 had great reviews, any comments/reviews on this motel? and the price was good. Thanks ....