We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland's Inn beach

London
Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland's Inn beach

Does anyone remember the beach which was right in front of the Ireland's Inn stretched up to the north full of young crowds on saturdays ending 2 blocks up by a beach bar and restaurant on the corner , cant remember the name of that bar? anyone remembers? Now the beach is gone , instead the pelican resort is in its place , but isnt the vancant irelands inn building still in place?

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland's Inn beach

Your "directions" and "distances" threw me off. So, I'm not sure which "bar" you mean.

The restaurant and bar to the "north" was The Beach Club, which was at the corner of Oakland Park Blvd. and A1A going to the beach (two short blocks. Woody Woodbury used to entertain there, if that helps.

However, I have a feeling you mixed up your directions, because you are actually talking about something "south" of Ireland's Inn. In that case, the place you are referring to was Mark 2100, which had a great beachfront restaurant and bar.

As for Ireland's Inn, the new owners got caught by the financial crisis, and the new "luxury" hotel was put on hold. Even the Ireland family, which used to put out some news on the project is now silent. So, the old hotel just sits there.

London
Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland's Inn beach

thanks castleblanca, yes i remember now it was the Mark 2100 as you mentioned,,,,,, and do you remember the old church next door to pelican place bought by a rich guy and turned into a nice residential tower which still stands there? i guess it was an excellent idea

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland's Inn beach

Memories! As a single guy, I stumbled on Ireland's inn early 60s, then married brought my wife all the way from our assignment in Lima, Peru for little R&R. Later, living in DC we returned many times with daughter as soon as school let out in June, usually driving all the way. I don't know why they closed Inn, instead if building a less than luxury place, but suppose property value drove the dealings that led to nothing. I think we stayed once in Mark 2100, but it wasn't the same.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland's Inn beach

"Why did they close it," you ask.

Once again, I'll give you a quick history of what happened. It was purchased right before the financial crisis ---- as was the newly completed condo on the corner of A1A and 23rd Street). It was all to become a new luxury hotel. However, when the crisis hit, the money dried up, and everyone is still waiting.

The sad thing is that the never occupied condo on A1A just sits there deteriorating. That is a true shame.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,113 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland's Inn beach

I just drove by those abandoned properties again yesterday and join Castleblanca in regretting that "what might have been" has not taken place. We never stayed at Ireland's , but enjoyed their beachfront bar and fish sandwiches often. It is sad to see it in it's current state. Interesting too that I think there is caretaker- at least there seems to be a polite young man entering and leaving the building whom we have exchanged hellos with on our walks. I hope he is an employee , not a squatter...

6. Re: Ireland's Inn beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 06:21