We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

motels or hotels close to North Federal Highway

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
960 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
motels or hotels close to North Federal Highway

We would appreciate knowing about a clean hotel or motel that would be close to 110 North Federal Highway. We are hoping to find one after the summer in the $60-65 area. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: motels or hotels close to North Federal Highway

There is not much in that area and certainly not in that price range that would be clean or safe. The Oasis Motel an older place that has been fixed up a bit is about 1 mile south of that address on South Federal Hwy but rates there start at $85/night for a queen bedded room which they call a '"single, which may mean there is an extra charge for more than one occupant- they have more expensive rooms with 2 beds. Otherwise, the only places I can think of are literally either like flop houses for welfare tenants or very high end hotels like Riverside and Hampton Inn, which are usually at least three times your budget. It's mostly an area of businesses or high rise buildings like banks. Very few people would want or need to stay there. There is one really awful motel on Federal highway just north of that address and I can't even recall it's name or find it listed- it may have been closed down as it was a center for many illegal activities and very run down.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: motels or hotels close to North Federal Highway

This is the motel I was trying to name , the Tropicana. For September their rate seems to be $49

. The website makes it look nice , but I know I would not send a relative to stay there http://tropicanafl.com/

I think it would be about 6 blocks north of the address you mentioned, but it's in a rather run down area.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,945 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: motels or hotels close to North Federal Highway

The Tropicana gets surprisingly good reviews! I wouldn't want to stay there but if the area it's in doesn't bother you perhaps it might be an option. Personally I would have filed it under dump but I've never stayed there so perhaps I'm wrong.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: motels or hotels close to North Federal Highway

If those reviews aren't fake (who knows? )it must have changed hands and gone through a major cleaning and rehab- I must look when I drive by, but from memory it used to look like a dump at least from the street view..

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,945 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: motels or hotels close to North Federal Highway

I agree I remember it looking like a dump.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: motels or hotels close to North Federal Highway

I agree with Lulutoo and Suewick - not the area for a safe hotel in your price range. If you can go into the $85 range, look at the Best Western Oakland Park. It's about 4 miles north on Federal Hwy from your address. It gets decent reviews on Trip Advisor and if you won't have a car you could take the bus. Off the top of my head that's going to be the closest hotel in the area that would be less than $100 a night and safe to stay in.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,945 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: motels or hotels close to North Federal Highway

I've stayed at the Best Western Oakland Park and was happy with it.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: motels or hotels close to North Federal Highway

That choice really isn't very close to the address the poster wants to be close to, which appears to be an office building just north of Broward Blvd on Federal- BW Oakland Park would be about 30 blocks north of that... I wonder if the poster has transportation of any kind or is relying on our somewhat limited bus system?

Is this an extended stay for a training? I see there are some schools at that address? I had thought about suggesting room in a private home, maybe found via Air B&B , as I suspect there are some in the Victoria Park area- but most seem over your budget and the locations on many are quite vague- one advertises itself as "near the beach" and is actually on NW 15th- which is a pretty scary area IMO ( not too far from the city police/jail ) . Maybe others are more skilled at Air B&B tricks of the trade , but most rooms seem to be $75+- some seem like spare rooms in condos/homes etc.

A few of the reviews of Tropicana mention that it is an area the reviewer would not suggest for a woman traveling alone.. and I think I'd find bit a bit creepy at night...based on some rather strange businesses in the general area around Federal and Sunrise and it being fairly near our Greyhound Bus station where some characters seem to hang out.

I do suspect someone bought that motel in a distress sale and is rehabbing it- but they can't rehab the neighborhood it's in...

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
960 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: motels or hotels close to North Federal Highway

Thank you for all of the advice so far I will now be staying with my brother for one night so I can go a little higher in price. Iam now cosidering Hyatt Place in Plantation and someone will be able to drive me to a place I need to go to. Other then the Best Western in Oakland Park which would be my second choice the Hyatt Place in Plantation would be my first choice at this point.I checked theiir rate and with AAA I could do it.

Other then these two everything else looks and sounds horrible.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
960 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: motels or hotels close to North Federal Highway

Update: As of now the Hyatt Place didn't work for certain reasons so unless something better appears it will be the Best Western in Oakland Park.My concern is about being close to the Highway . Suewick when you stayed at that hotel did you have any problem with the noise?

Thanks again everyone for the responses.