We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida Heat and Humidity

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
279 reviews
Save Topic
Florida Heat and Humidity

I understand FLL is hot and humid. We will NOT have a car so would the heat and humidity be a problem for us getting around on public transit or taxi? we are quite concerned at the moment since we will be in florida for 2 weeks.

thanks for any suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Ft. Lauderdale Intl Airport
Ft. Lauderdale Intl...
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,372 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida Heat and Humidity

It won't be a problem in the sense that it won't hinder the ability of motor vehicles to get around -- buses and taxis will have a/c in most cases.

But if you're sensitive enough to 90-95F (30-32C) heat and 90% humidity to ask the question, you might want to rethink renting a car -- standing in that combination of heat and humidity waiting for transportation can get pretty uncomfortable.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida Heat and Humidity

Some routes have small bus shelters, others are just benches or signs in the sun, so you might want to plan not to have to wait long- or step into a nearby shop till close to the time- but don't cut it too close as buses don't run all that often on most routes. . In reverse, we are headed to Vancouver Island in a few weeks- having been there before I can imagine the humidity might be uncomfortable- carry a bottle of water with you ( available everywhere ) and keep well hydrated and wear a hat and sunscreen for sure. The buses and taxis are air conditioned of course.

Google Broward County Transit for bus schedules so you can plan your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,268 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Florida Heat and Humidity

It depends on when you're visiting ... from November to March it will not be too hot nor humid.

Right now, August, it is extremely hot and humid despite the daily rain showers.

Edited: 04 August 2013, 18:06
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florida Heat and Humidity

I didn't look at the posters name, but realize now it is the bud I've been swapping Vancouver Island tips with! So, since you are staying at Il Lugano and the Ritz, don't discount those little red/yellow Sun Trolleys as transportation- they circle through the streets near Il Lugano during daytime hours and you just wave at one to stop it and they will go mainly south- which is where most everything is for you anyway. And I know Il Lugano has some limited courtesy transportation- I can't recall how far it will go-just fairly local to the nearby beach and restaurants I think, but ask on check in as they can be a good resource. Sun Trolley also has a route junction near the Ritz at Beach Place for the route that goes across Las Olas Blvd and also down along 17th St where the Port is-lots of eating places there- so don't forget to see if that will help with your travel

.Here I am dispensing advice and meanwhile figuring out the same thing for Victoria BC- as we will only have a car for part of our trip! Cliu. ,we're planning to take the Victoria City Bus ( Bus 75 I think) out to the Gardens- a long trip I know , but the other tourist tours seem too pricey.! Gosh in Victoria there are al kinds of transportation - rickshaws, horse drawn carriages, I think harbor tugs too - it is very confusing !

Mentioned in this post
Sun Trolley
Sun Trolley
1,162 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Beach Place Hotel
Beach Place Hotel
534 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Las Olas Beach
Las Olas Beach
1,545 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florida Heat and Humidity

Lulutoo...thanks so much for your sage info once again. Good to know there is the sun trolley near both our hotels. we will definitely take advantage of it!

As for Victoria transportation, there are double decker buses you can ride for the same price as a regular bus and they usually run every 20 to 30min or so. Bus fare is $2.50 adult and does NOT give change so make sure you have exact change. You can buy 10tickets at 7-11 or Mac Convenience Stores for $22.50 which is a savings of $2.50.

The Empress Fairmont Hotel right downtown has HIGH TEA with home made scones with devonshire cream and jam along with other finger sandwiches, and petites pastries along with a choice of pot of tea. If you haven't been to one, it is an experience you may enjoy. Make sure you make advance reservations as it gets sold out quickly in the summer.

If you need any other info, don't hesitate to let me know. Don't forget to give me a call if you are near me during the time I am not in Florida, Lulutoo!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
160 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florida Heat and Humidity

Bring umbrellas if you are utilizing public transport during rainy season.

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florida Heat and Humidity

sailboardsmiami....thanks so much for the tip! i will pack a foldable one right now!

with appreciation,

cliu ; )

8. Re: Florida Heat and Humidity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 05:16