We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Fort Lauderdale Airport to cruise port

Bexley, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from Fort Lauderdale Airport to cruise port

Travelling as a party of 9 adults with Virgin Holidays, we need to drop off our rental car at Fort Lauderdale Airport before boarding our cruise at Port Everglades Cruise terminal. Could you let me know the best/cheapest way for this transportation between the airport and cruise terminal?

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,010 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Fort Lauderdale Airport to cruise port

I would say taxi but you probably need 3 taxis. The cost per taxi would be around $15-$20 depending on how far into the port your ship is berthed, so you're talking somewhere around $5-$7 each. No big deal anyway.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,240 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Fort Lauderdale Airport to cruise port

I think I would e-mail from the site of www.floridalimo.com which is the official provider that is allowed to keep vehicles at FLL. They have a variety of vans, limos etc and may be able to reserve a larger vehicle than a taxi for you ( I am not sure how many their Go Vans hold- possibly 9 ) for a set price that may let you all travel together for a comparable price. See what they suggest. A Taxi will cost about $15-20 each, so that will help you compare prices. It's a very short trip from FLL- the Port so if it ends up being taxis , that would be ok. You don't need to reserve those - the starter outside will just call up as many as you need for your party. You might get away with two taxis - they can hold 5 each maximum I think and it is a short ride-so it may depend on your luggage and what makes your party comfortable.- they have big trunks..

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Fort Lauderdale Airport to cruise port

If I read this correctly, all 9 of you will be in one vehicle that you have to return to the airport? I might suggest that the renter drop 8 of you off at the ship and then return the car to the airport, taking a shuttle or taxi back. When I did this with a friend with a disability, he only waited or me about 45 minutes from the time I left him. I even took a shared shuttle back which stopped at two other ships that day before mine. He had a great time watching the people arrive.

You will just have to make sure all of you have your travel/boarding documents when you arrive at the port entrance for inspection, and that the sole driver keeps his with him to get back into the port.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,240 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Fort Lauderdale Airport to cruise port

The transport suggestion I made would include a driver provided by FL LImo in whatever size vehicle , so no need for any cruiser to return to FLL ..Maybe some other choice would require that. It is a good tip to make sure everyone has the documents they need on their person in case the group is separated for any reason..

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Fort Lauderdale Airport to cruise port

The limo would be a terrific idea, but they still have to get the vehicle back to FLL according to the original post. I am not too sure what they would be renting except maybe a large van... few rental vehicles can hold 9, plus luggage.

My suggestion for dropping everyone off at the port was just imagining the logistics of 9 people getting out of the vehicle at the rental car center with at least one piece of luggage plus some sort of carry-on, .... getting the bags out , sorting out who owns what, then walking or taking the rental car shuttlebus over to the terminal to the taxi/limo/shuttle stand, then putting the luggage back in the taxi(s), then off-loading it again at the port. I see the makings of a comedy movie with that scenario!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,240 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from Fort Lauderdale Airport to cruise port

I get you now- can see where it might make sense to deliver everyone to the Port in the rental car and just worry about one person returning the car to FLL and that person hopping in a taxi to the Port from FLL.

Bexley, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from Fort Lauderdale Airport to cruise port

Thanks everyone! Our car hire company provided a free shuttle bus to and from the airport/Cruise terminal. A very grateful service.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,240 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from Fort Lauderdale Airport to cruise port

That's great- which firm was that?- others will want this info.

9. Re: Transport from Fort Lauderdale Airport to cruise port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 05:17