We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car or no?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
234 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a car or no?

Hi All,

My husband and I are planning a trip to FL in December, the 12th to the 16th. We're pretty sure we'll be staying at the B Ocean. We will be attending a Patriots/Dolphins game on Sunday. I thought for sure we'd rent a car at the FLL airport, and then we'd have it to go where we like and to go to the game. My husband is wondering whether we should just pay the cab fare back and forth to the hotel and to the game and back instead. The hotel says on their website that cab fare from the airport is about $30. So, that would be $60 round trip. I have no clue how much a cab back and forth to the game would be. Any ideas? Is there typically a lot of traffic around the stadium? I know at our stadium, driving is a nightmare. If we rented a car, we have the price of the rental, the hotel parking at $25 a day, plus parking at the stadium. Do you think the cab idea is best or the rental car? Thanks for your help. I hope this makes sense.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,920 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a car or no?

None of the above ? Never tried it, dont know anyone who has BUT, check this link out, it may be an idea ?

http://patriots.dolphins.bowlbus.com/

Cab would be close to $50+tip I think. Sadly there is no easy way to "beat the system" when trying to choose between the economics of rental cars vs public transit vs cab fares.

Yes, the traffic around the stadium gets busy on game days and parking is in the $20+ range I suspect.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a car or no?

You might not be able to get a cab very easily back from the stadium. You might think about hiring a car instead. They'll schedule the time to come back for you and you know that they'll show up. Sometimes taxi drivers will give you their number to call them to pick you up, but it might take them a while to get there.

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a car or no?

having a car gives you the flexibility of going other places whenyou want ot go. We have used buses and the trolley at times but we ahve figuredouthe way to go is to have a car. That said, does the B charge for parkin? that adds a lot to your cost.. Plus the cost of parking atthe game and so forth. A game shuttle from fort lauderdale would be a great idea. perhaps someone knows of a business that does that.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a car or no?

Thanks objets, that bus looks like a great idea. If we don't rent a car we'll definitely take that rather than a cab. I did a little research on a rental and looks like it'll be just over $200, plus the $25 a day parking at the hotel for 4 nights, will be an extra $100. It's probably a little more expensive than the cabs, but will give us more flexibility to go where we want if we want. I guess I should not be cheap when on vacation right? :)

Janesville...
Level Contributor
710 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a car or no?

A few years ago we took at cab from a Miami hotel to the stadium and it was $60 (+tip) each way. When we were leaving the game we went out to the main street (and crossed) to try to flag down a taxi before it entered the stadium area to pickup passengers- pretty sure that was illegal, but we knew the alternative was to wait for an hour at least for a taxi. There were 6 of us that crammed into a Crown Victoria type taxi- again illegal. If I was to do it again I would rent a car and pay for parking just for the convenience of having a sure thing. Traffic was no different than leaving any other sporting event, you'll stop and go for awhile.

Not sure if it's just b/c of the time of year you are flying, or thats the rate for a rental at FLL, but a car rental from MIA is $150/week- might be cheaper to fly into MIA and drive to FLL. Just a thought.

Edited: 24 August 2013, 11:59
Ft Lauderdale
Level Contributor
239 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a car or no?

Cab would be $45-50 each way to stadium. If you are going to do this would highly recommend having same cab pick you up after game. Otherwise taxi line can be long and taxis non existant.

There are park and ride locations that you can leave your car at and take a shuttle. Or companies like Ace tours will pick you up at your hotel( I am not affiliated with them).....

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a car or no?

We rented for Gold Coast Car Rental and they were fantastic! the price was much lower than that of Budget and Hertz; but the best feature was that they delivered the car to our hotel and then picked up the car from the hotel so it saved us a cab trip for pick up.

They did not hard sell and the company is a family operated business. We were extremely satisfied and pleased with Gold Coast and we would highly recommend them without hesitation.

Giving them a call will probably get you a better price than on line.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent a car or no?

Thank you all very much. I was going to use National as I've used them before and they have the best price out of all the major companies but now I'll check out Gold Coast. Thanks!

9. Re: Rent a car or no?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 05:18