We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help re area hotels things to do

LANCASTER
Level Contributor
185 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Help re area hotels things to do

We're coming to Florida for a while and thought about staying near Fl. not to bothered were. more looking for nice place to stay for say 70dollars a night have a car so willing to drive...

What is in the area and could we spend 5 days there me my wife and a couple of young kids anythought most of uk people just do orlando. Thanks

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help re area hotels things to do

"$70.00???? For four people? What month/season are you coming here? That makes all the difference in the world!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,345 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help re area hotels things to do

Depending on your dates ( please specify them) $70 may not get you much in the way of accommodation. but the dates are very important for any recommendation We have a lovely family oriented beach an lots of water oriented activities- no amusement parks or thrill rides.

The tourism website for our area is www.sunny.org and it contains many ideas for activities and, again depending on your dates, some discount offers. I'd look there for things to do ( Like the Museum of Discovery and Science for your kids for instance)

Once we know your proposed dates , we can likely be more specific. End of October for instance is our International Boat Show and the town is generally crowded and expensive. then.

LANCASTER
Level Contributor
185 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help re area hotels things to do

We're coming mid September I guess hotels are cheaper in orlando due to number thanks

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,345 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help re area hotels things to do

Hey Castleblanca!

I heard there's some big new construction where that former drug den near you they tore down( was it called Phoenix- I've already forgotten) used to be... heard anything about what it is about?

We are of the same mind about the OP- if he has a car maybe something out west in a chain motel, but not much touristy usually at those rates usually- but as we agree the travel dates will tell the tale.

Antarctica
Level Contributor
125 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help re area hotels things to do

There's nothing wrong with Fort Lauderdale with kids, but as mentioned, the beaches are the main attraction and there's not a huge amount of exciting family activities beyond that. We've done it and had great time, but our kids were teens and enjoyed the whole shopping and dining aspect of things. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

As for hotels, try Hotwire. We've gotten very nice suites for just a bit more than your price (pre-tax) and have actually booked one for late September (PM me for any details on the hotel).

Good luck!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,345 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help re area hotels things to do

Depending on their ages, the kids would probably enjoy things like a glass bottom boat ride or a day on Water Taxi etc o9r even a little fishing off the Pier in Lauderdale by the Sea The beach is a nice change from Orlando IMO, but of course there are closer beaches that you can also look at ( like Cocoa Beach just an hour from Orlando or Clearwater Beach) In looking at hotels on Travelocity for mid September, many in your price range are awful places like Red Carpet Inn and Sea Club that get horrid reviews here- but there r are a few chain motels off the beach and a few family owned motels in the general beach are that could fit your budget. You would have to be very careful as there are some real fleabags at that rate and a few of those are chains like Travelodge that might be ok other places , but in this area are really awful.

I hope the poster above has indeed gotten a good one. which is possible on Hotwire, but not always the case for the unlucky.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,030 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help re area hotels things to do

OK I'm gonna be a realistic Brit who no longer does Orlando, you're not going to get anything decent in a good location in Fort Lauderdale for $70 a night. St Petersburg or Clearwater Beach might be a cheaper option, ditto Cocoa Beach unless pricing has changed since we used to do Orlano for a few days then travel around. Statistically September is Fort Lauderdale's rainiest month, bit I don't hit town until October 1st, so you might be safe! Whatever you decide to do I hope you have a fantastic time.

8. Re: Help re area hotels things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 05:18