We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Miami Airport to a Hotel in Fort Lauderdale

Paris
6 posts
Save Topic
How to get from Miami Airport to a Hotel in Fort Lauderdale

Hello everyone,

My mother and I will arrive at Miami International Airport on August 2014 for a 4 day trip in Fort Lauderdale and a 7 day cruise from Port Everglades. Since we did not book any shuttle with the cruise line company, what is the best option for us to go from Miami airport to our Hotel in Fort Lauderdale ?

We want to keep the cost as cheap as possible, but I have to mention that we might have heavy luggages (about 3 or 4 for the two of us).

I've heard about the Tri Rail option to avoid high cost. In this case, it seems that we should go from the Miami Tri Rail station to a station called Dania Beach. But since I didn't find any details on the web about this station, I wanted to know if we can easily get a taxi/cab from there to our Hotel ?

Or maybe we should consider a better option than the Tri Rail that I don't know yet ?

Thank you very much for paying attention to my requests.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,998 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Miami Airport to a Hotel in Fort Lauderdale

If your luggage doesn't have wheels it might be tough to drag them about to use the train. The only other option is to rent a car one way.

Paris
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Miami Airport to a Hotel in Fort Lauderdale

Thank you very much for your answer. The thing is...both my mother and I don't have the international driver licence, so we won't be able to rent a car. Fortunatly, our luggages have wheels.

But I'm still wondering if it's easy to have a cab at Dania Beach Tri Rail station, because if it is, it might solve everything I guess ?

Thank you again!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Miami Airport to a Hotel in Fort Lauderdale

Might be easiest if you and your mother share a taxi- while I think the fare would be about $70 that amount is shared between the two of you. With heavy luggage and an aged parent I can't recommend Tri Rail. as there is no luggage assistance there and it involves shuttles to reach the stations , so handling your luggage more than once by yourselves. Also look into Super Shuttle, the shared ride service from MIA which would assist you with your bags.. The only thing is that Super Shuttle charges per person while a taxi allows you to share one fare , so in many cases the taxi is about the same cost as -or possibly cheaper than- a taxi.

If you tell me the name of your hotel I'll try to guesstimate the taxi cost as compared to the shuttle. The shuttle would most likely make stops with other passengers en route and could be a longer ride because of that and after a tiring international flight, I think I might personally get the taxi unless it were abig prie difference - and it should not be..

I can't imagine using Tri Rail n the situation you describe.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Miami Airport to a Hotel in Fort Lauderdale

Just as an example , Super Shuttle from MIA to the Hilton Marina Hotel across from the Port is $37 for the 1st passenger , $28 for the additional one and a $2 surcharge= $67 , so probably only a few dollars less than my taxi guess ( but I could try to figure it more closely) and a much more inconvenient choice because of multiple stops.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,104 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from Miami Airport to a Hotel in Fort Lauderdale

Lulu is spot on, it's a trek just to get to the train station. All though inexpensive Tri-Rail travel involves several transfers when departing Miami Intl. and does not favor those with anything but lite baggage.

Paris
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get from Miami Airport to a Hotel in Fort Lauderdale

Thank you for your answer.

Regarding the age, I'm 26 and my mother 59, so maybe she will not be pleased to use the Tri Rail as you describe it.

To answer your question and give you more details, our hotel will be at 1180 Seabreeze Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316. "It's the Best Western Plus Oceanside".

Paris
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get from Miami Airport to a Hotel in Fort Lauderdale

Thank you for your answer.

Regarding the age, I'm 26 and my mother 59, so maybe she will not be pleased to use the Tri Rail as you describe it.

To answer your question and give you more details, our hotel will be at 1180 Seabreeze Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316. "It's the Best Western Plus Oceanside".

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
121 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get from Miami Airport to a Hotel in Fort Lauderdale

We just did the ride to/from MIA to our house (Las Olas @ the Intracoastal) for $87 each way incl tip, etc. in a black car. No worries.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get from Miami Airport to a Hotel in Fort Lauderdale

The Google Map mileage from MIA to your hotel is a 33 miles and $2.50/mile is usually a good estimate of taxi fare- though not exact- so t would be about $80 for a ride to your hotel door to door in a taxi and about $67 for a shared van ride which would likely go out of it's way to drop off other passengers en route and probably take longer ( plus waiting at MIA for additional passengers in many cases to help fill the shuttle.)though it would also take you and all your stuff to the hotel without having to contend with all your belongings on transfers. I know personally, I'd feel the taxi was money well spent. Definitely not a good idea to attempt Tri Rail I'd say.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
121 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get from Miami Airport to a Hotel in Fort Lauderdale

So car service seems to make sense, rather than a dirty cab. I used Larry's Limo as have our friends, all without a hiccup. Www.larryslimo.com.