We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No car - staynew Holiday Inn Dania Beach before cruise?

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manitoba
Level Contributor
24 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
No car - staynew Holiday Inn Dania Beach before cruise?

Since this is a new hotel, I am relying hopefully on recommendations on Dania Beach information.

I would like to stay at the new Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South.

This is on 205 N. Federal Hwy Dania Beach. (we can use our points, cheap)

I tried to google the map but does not bring up much. We will not have a car. But, if the bus is convenient that would be good to shopping for "cruise" stuff. Maybe a big mall of any mall with a type of Walmart or something.

Also, I do not see alot of restaurants around there...

One more thing we really like going on the water taxi's and getting around Fort Lauderdale that way, how hard is it to get to that area to start the jump on / jump off.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,882 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No car - staynew Holiday Inn Dania Beach before cruise?

It's definitely not a good place to stay if Water Taxi is of interest- nowhere near any Water Taxi stop. As far as shopping, it is also not near any Walmart or "big mall." ( there are none of either anywhere in that area). There is a 'lower end" strip mall about 3-4 miles away that has KMart, an Old Navy , a Marshalls and several other stores ( no WalMart or Target ). A taxi would be about $10 each way to that Oakwood Plaza - there are chain restaurants ( Red Lobster , TGI Friday etc ) there as well. It is very strung out and involves lots of walking even within the strip center. There are very few restaurants near the motel itself- it's in a rather shabby area- I do like Jaxson's -an ice cream parlor about half a mile walk south of it. All the 'free shuttle" motels are generally a poor idea here if you want to do more than sit in the motel and eat delivery pizza. They offer the shuttles to get business in their difficult location.s If you just need to sleep, shower , eat free breakfast and then head to the Port, they would serve their purpose.

I can't think of a good HI Express for you except the one on 17th ST ( Convention center.).

which is on 17th ST is not near shopping ( except grocery and drug stores) but is near many nice restaurants and right at a Water Taxi stop and near the Port entrance. The #40 bus runs right by it and goes to Galleria Mall about 20 minutes away with lots of shopping. . It is probably much higher priced than the one you are looking at- but probably is the better choice for you- I think they may charge for their shuttles- most of the well located hotels here do. The HI Express Airport/ Cruiseport is out on a highway in an industrial area- nothing good around that- not a good idea in spite of the name , which is misleading- it is not near the Airport or the Port.

The new motel is cheaper in points because even though it is nice and new and fresh , the location is poor unless you have car.

mishao
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No car - staynew Holiday Inn Dania Beach before cruise?

How kind of you to give such a detailed reply to this persons question. I had this hotel booked but was getting nervous that it wasn't going to open by the end of Nov. as they kept changing the available date, I guess it has now opened. I already canceled it a few weeks ago and booked the HI conv. center, we will have a car, we are heading to Port of Miami the next day for a cruise but didn't want to stay in Miami, is the area around the new HI a safe area?

I would like to save points but would rather be in a safe area.

Edited: 19 October 2013, 22:38
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,374 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No car - staynew Holiday Inn Dania Beach before cruise?

IMO its not an unsafe area, though it does have a bit more of an "industrial" feel to it. There isn't a lot to do withing walking distance if memory serves me, I'd want a car for sure. For one night you should be fine...

mishao
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No car - staynew Holiday Inn Dania Beach before cruise?

Thanks for the reply, I think we will stick with the HI at the Conv. center , looks like it will only add a few minutes to our drive to Miami and seems to be in an interesting area, I will just have to spend more on the cruise to build up reward points again!! Thanks again, have a blessed day.

5. Re: No car - staynew Holiday Inn Dania Beach before cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Fort Lauderdale