We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunpass or pay cash on turnpike

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sunpass or pay cash on turnpike

We are coming to Orlando, will going back and forth between Orlando and Tampa for 5 days, then will drive down to Fort Lauderdale.

I am not sure should I rent a Sunpass from rental company (EZ rental) or should I get a Sunpass from grocery store / gas station. or should I just pay cash on each toll. (I just worry I miss the Toll, I did it before @_@)

Please advise.

Thanks

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,651 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunpass or pay cash on turnpike

There are no Sunpass only sections on the Turnpike from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale, all the tolls can be paid in cash , so you can easily go without a Sunpass on that stretch- just be sure to avoid getting in the marked lanes that only accept a Sunpass. The sections where a Sunpass is needed are south of Ft. Lauderdale in the stretch between Miami and the Keys.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunpass or pay cash on turnpike

Thanks Lulutoo. that can safe me a lot of research. I will just stay with cash then.

Thanks again

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,804 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunpass or pay cash on turnpike

In the Tampa area be careful that you do not get on the Selmon Expressway as that does not take cash at all. Visitors/tourists would not have a reason to use it but if you're using a GPS for directions it may put you on the Selmon.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,556 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunpass or pay cash on turnpike

FYI Sunpass only lanes are always to the left in most of the larger toll plaza's.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunpass or pay cash on turnpike

Get a sun pass

I was visiting in the Coral Springs area a few months ago and on my first day being unfamiliar with how the tolls were set up, I went thru the sun pass and didn't exit to pay the toll. My opinion but they are set up sort of like exits; very confusing.

On the way back thru a few hours later I told the booth attendant and she gave me a card and told me to mail the toll charges or I'd get a $125.00 ticket. It was nerve racking but they finally cashed my $1.25 check a few weeks later.

Best not to worry or get huge tickets!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,356 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunpass or pay cash on turnpike

The Sunpass is very inexpensive and easy to use. I have had one for about 15 years and it saves me so much hassle and time. You can manage everything on-line through the Sunpass.com website - they also have a smartphone app that you can use to quickly add a rental car as you are leaving the airport.

As easy as it is to get one of the Mini transponders and for no more than it costs, I would just go ahead and get a Sunpass for your trip.

-JimG

7. Re: Sunpass or pay cash on turnpike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 04:17