We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FLL or PBI Airport Better for Delray Beach Visit?

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
FLL or PBI Airport Better for Delray Beach Visit?

Greetings:

I will be staying in Delray Beach for future business visits to the area....I was wondering if either FLL or PBI airport was better from a convenience standpoint?....I can check the flight schedules on my own, but I was wondering if one airport offered significantly less traffic/travel time to and from Delray Beach; does one or both have on site (I must use Avis) car rental that does not involve use of a shuttle or is attached (indoors) to the American Airlines terminal; is one easier to navigate from a security standpoint (i.e. shorter lines, though I do have priority access with American); is one more likely to have flights diverted to Miami in the event of a curfew or bad weather???

Just trying to determine if one airport has a significant advantage over the other from a convenience standpoint OR if there really is no difference.

Thanks

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FLL or PBI Airport Better for Delray Beach Visit?

PBI would be closer to Delray and is a smaller airport ,easier to navigate. However I can't recall about their car rental situation - FLL has four terminals built around a car rental center in the middle , but from the AA terminal you do have to take very short bus ride on free busses used by all the car companies jointly that constantly circle around the baggage claim exits. It's a very short ride.

If no one here remembers about the car rental situation at PBI- you could ask on the West Palm Beach Forum.

I think you could find a significant price difference between flights into PBI and those into FLL depending on the airline and time of year. We sometimes drive up to PBI to go to Vegas, but almost always find cheaper fares from FLL. I think there are many more AA flights from FLL than from PBI.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FLL or PBI Airport Better for Delray Beach Visit?

To be more specific- Delray is about 19 miles from PBI and about 34 miles from FLL

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,917 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FLL or PBI Airport Better for Delray Beach Visit?

Rental cars are in the Main Terminal at PBI, neither airport has a curfew that I know off, I suspect we're done with diversions for the year. FYI if you're flying on American they offer a nonstop into MIA from SAN. Given the choice I'd fly into PBI over FLL.

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FLL or PBI Airport Better for Delray Beach Visit?

Yes, I am aware of the nonstop....on the outbound, it is a redeye flight from San Diego (not a fan) and on the return home it leaves at 7PM from Miami--people I have spoken with told me I would not gain much time, if any, flying nonstop vs. connecting due to sitting in traffic on I-95 working my way south to catch a flight at that time (unless I happened to be in the area for pleasure and/or on a weekend).

Thanks

5. Re: FLL or PBI Airport Better for Delray Beach Visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 06:21