We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Cruise ship says Arriving at Port Everglades at 7:00 am

East Lansing...
2 posts
Save Topic
My Cruise ship says Arriving at Port Everglades at 7:00 am

Is it true? Can I book the return flight at 8:30 am since Port Everglades is very close to FLL?

conn
Level Contributor
2,893 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Cruise ship says Arriving at Port Everglades at 7:00 am

I wouldn't count on getting off till maybe 10:00 AM

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,940 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Cruise ship says Arriving at Port Everglades at 7:00 am

Way too risky I wouldn't book anything earlier than 11am. Though you arrive at 7 it will take time to clear Customs, disembark, get to the airport etc.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Cruise ship says Arriving at Port Everglades at 7:00 am

That's when the ship actually docks- they have to do paperwork for customs from the ship as a whole before any passengers can get off- we were among the first off our ship- sometime between 8:30 and 9 am and then had to wait in a customs line for individual clearance . The cruise ships are correct when they say not to book a flight that leaves before 11:30 at the earliest. You might make it earlier , but no guarantee and the lines to get through TSA at the airport on return days are often very long and slow.

I think 8:30 would be a big, big mistake.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,096 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Cruise ship says Arriving at Port Everglades at 7:00 am

I wouldn't even attempt it.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Cruise ship says Arriving at Port Everglades at 7:00 am

One snag with Customs or Immigration, even a port issue and you have missed your flight. 11:30 is acceptable, but anything after noon is better. The airport can be a real mess on cruise days, so you may have a delay once you get there, give yourself plenty of time.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Cruise ship says Arriving at Port Everglades at 7:00 am

Hell, no.

As other have said, you have to disembark, clear customs and go through TSA at the airport. I had family do a Ft Lauderdale cruise recently, and was told the traffic getting out of there can be a nightmare too.

NC
Level Contributor
854 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Cruise ship says Arriving at Port Everglades at 7:00 am

All of the above posts are correct! Last time out of Port Everglades, we had a 2 1/2 hour delay getting off the ship due to an issue in Customs. No flight before noon for us when leaving out of Port Everglades.

waukesha,wi
Level Contributor
462 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Cruise ship says Arriving at Port Everglades at 7:00 am

NO WAY! Even tho those early flights are tempting because of lower cost in most cases, you will never make it. Even if you self disembark at the earliest it will be 7:30. Now get to the airport, clear TSA and your gate. 11:00 flight or later will work fine.

East Lansing...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My Cruise ship says Arriving at Port Everglades at 7:00 am

Thanks everyone for the suggestion. Actually, I posted this message and my flight was 8:20 am yesterday. My cruise ship is RC Liberty. She docked as some said at 7:00 am but wouldn't let anyone leave the ship until 7:35 am. We were the first ones out or the ship and had to run through the custom where didn't take long and took the taxi immediately. TG the taxi only took 10 minutes or less to the terminal - it was close to 7:50 am. Security check TSA took 5 minutes - TG FLL is a small airport and has a limited gates on each terminal. We got into the gate around 8:05 am. It was very rush but we made it!

Indeed, I wouldn't do that again and strongly not recommend for this "impossible" schedule. The reason I didn't change plan was the airline has to charge me for changing flight(s) ($200 each ticket) plus the latest airfare for the ticket (I booked the ticket a month ago when I wanted to change it - less than a week) - it was over $700 additional per ticket. That was why I had to stick with my mistake plan. If we miss my flight, the airline will put us in stand-by Free or $50 for priority standby which is much cheaper than paying $700 each.

I hope this will help anyone in the same situation. Remember you must be the first in line out of the ship in order to make it within an hour from Port Everglades to FLL.

waukesha,wi
Level Contributor
462 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Cruise ship says Arriving at Port Everglades at 7:00 am

You were truly lucky to have made that flight! Bet you worried about making it the day before too! I know I would have lost sleep that last night.

You might have ended up spending an extra night in Fl. Because lately it's very hard to find empty seats on those Fl flights.:)