We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-Cruise Hotel Sticker Shock

Colorado
Level Contributor
315 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-Cruise Hotel Sticker Shock

OMG !! Guess I shouldn't be surprised but really ?

Courtyard By Marriott for $299.00 ? Holiday Inn Express for $279.00 ?

I don't know what to do ??

Flying in Sat April 5th before 1 p.m. - cruise leaves next day at 4:30 p.m.

Won't have a car - wife and 5 year old will be with me.

Want a safe area where we can find someplace for dinner. Free breakfast would be a plus.

Free shuttles would be nice too.

Is there an area that's priced better where a cab ride won't be too expensive ?

I need lots of help/advice please.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,597 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-Cruise Hotel Sticker Shock

The La Quinta at 2620 N 20 Ave. should be $185 for that date and includes breakfast and I believe both airport and Port Shuttles( there may be small charge for Port Shuttle I have not checked lately.) It is at the south end of a long strip mall and there are several chain restaurants if you and your little one can walk about a block or two up to the restaurant area of the strip mall.

I'm going to check a few others for you, but yes, rates for hotels here are sky high this cruise season.. the ones I looked at nearer the port were all in the $275 plus range.

Colorado
Level Contributor
315 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-Cruise Hotel Sticker Shock

crazy, crazy ...

I did find a website that tries to guess the identity of hotels being offered on Hotwire.

Looks like the Westin Diplomat may be one of them for $187.00. Looks beautiful but no shuttles and not sure of restaurants in the area.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,597 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-Cruise Hotel Sticker Shock

I'll also suggest you look at Days Inn in Hollywood ( 2601 N 29 Ave., )which is the only Days Inn in this area I would be able to recommend. They have a free Airport Shuttle and I believe charge $10 pp for Port Shuttle and provide free breakfast. Unfortunately the only restaurant for an evening meal that is walkable I think is a Denny's. It gets generally good reviews here on TA for room conditions and customer service- as matter of fact one man said the shuttle driver brought him to a nearby drugstore, so perhaps you could get a lift to a restaurant, but I would not count on it. That Dennys is ok for what it is. I suspect the room would be around $150 but you would then have to add in the Port Shuttle. It's possible that a taxi to the Port would be a little cheaper than 3 shuttle fares - the taxi is a metered fare shared by all passengers while it sounds like the Port shuttle is always per person. You might ask at the taxi stand at FLL for an estimate from Days Inn to Port. Taxi number is 954-777-7777

Colorado
Level Contributor
315 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-Cruise Hotel Sticker Shock

I'll check those out ...thanks.

any info about the Westin Diplomat you can share ? looks very nice but not sure about location to food

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,597 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-Cruise Hotel Sticker Shock

I don't go down to Hollywood much , but from what I can recall of that area you might pretty much be limited to restaurants inside the Diplomat and I think they are pretty pricey. I'm guessing there are no free shuttles from FLL either , so I'll see if I can figure out the mileage for a taxi. both to the Diplomat and to the Port.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,597 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-Cruise Hotel Sticker Shock

Just a guesstimate but I'd say taxi from FLL to the Dip is $25( 10 miles) and Dip to Port might be $35 ( 14 miles) .. but I'm only sort of estimating

New Jersey
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-Cruise Hotel Sticker Shock

There's a broadwalk with lots of choices of food in Hollywood but it's about a 30 minute walk from the Diplomat. There's a trolley that stops at the Diplomat and goes to stops on the broadwalk that costs only $1 that might work for you.

There are also some good restaurants about a 10 minute walk if you walk south on Ocean Avenue and cross over the bridge on Hollandale Blvd. One excellent Cuban restaurant, Patrinos, is child friendly and has a nice lunch buffet.

The Diplomat is very child friendly - it's right on the beach and has an indoor pool geared for children.

http://www.visithollywoodfl.org/trolley.aspx

Edited: 12 February 2014, 15:28
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre-Cruise Hotel Sticker Shock

Have you considered something a bit to the west ? Perhaps Plantation or Sunrise ? Some hotels there will offer shuttles from the airport and perhaps to the Port.

Mentioned in this post
Sunrise
Sunrise
Broward County, FL
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre-Cruise Hotel Sticker Shock

You may also want to check out some of the smaller hotels, either in the North Beach Village Group, or Superior Small Lodgings. They may be available for that time, and, while not as flashy as the big beach hotels, most are quite comfortable.

Colorado
Level Contributor
315 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre-Cruise Hotel Sticker Shock

looks like I'm going through either Hotwire or Priceline Express- need opinions on the following hotels...

I'm mainly concerned about distance from FLL & Port Everglades, closeness to restaurants not inside the hotel, cleanliness and not staying in a dangerous neighborhood-

Riverside Hotel

B Ocean Fort Lauderdale

W Fort Lauderdale

Crowne Plaza Airport-Cruise Port

Mentioned in this post
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
1,684 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
W Fort Lauderdale
W Fort Lauderdale
207 Reviews