We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firefly Car Rental?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Firefly Car Rental?

Has anyone rented from this agency in Ft. Lauderdale? If so, please comment on your experience. I have never heard of it before and it didn't turn up on this site when I did a search.

Thanks for any info!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,345 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Firefly Car Rental?

It's a new name in town and owned by Hertz- they had to give up their previous affiliat4ed agency called Advantage and this seems to be the new replacement of their budget oriented car rental affiliate. Advantage used to get horrible reviews here- for customer service and deceptive sales tactics so I don't know if the same folks are managing Firefly- I sure hope not...

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,345 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Firefly Car Rental?

These are the Yelp reviews for their Orlando location- really bad

www.yelp.com/biz/firefly-car-rental-orlando

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Firefly Car Rental?

Thanks for the links, Lulutoo! Don't think I want to risk dealing with them.

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Firefly Car Rental?

This is Hertz new cheap rental car division. No frills or service,just cheap rental cars.

Don't expect friendly service or new cars, and you should be fine.

Brookville, Indiana
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Firefly Car Rental?

All I can say is stay away. We just had a terrible experience with them. Pay a little more and go with a company that has been around for a while!

New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Firefly Car Rental?

Rented from Firefly in FLL April 2014...price could not be beat...location to return car real tough to find, especially with construction. On car return, saw huge (1-2 hours) line for people with reservations. Staff was personable enough, but did not seem to have any sense of urgency to the task at hand. I save about $50 on a two day rental from the cheapest on airport agency...however, you get what you pay for, and even though I lucked out, I could easily see how this could be a very unpleasant experience.

N P
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Firefly Car Rental?

I just got back from a trip with them. The car was nice and new, the price was great, but the wait time sucked. The checkout line took two hours. The workers were super friendly, but it took forever to get the car. They need more front desk workers. On the bright side, monkeys roam their parking lots, so you party that is waiting for you to go through the line will have entertainment. Checking the car in takes much shorter, as they have a special line for you. Also, if you are flying out of any terminal other than terminal 1, on their shuttle back to the airport, you will have to get out at terminal one stop and board another shuttle, so allow a little extra time. There was construction, but we had a gps and i paid attention when i left, so it wasn't hard to find.

Indian Purchase 3...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Firefly Car Rental?

On April 9, 2014 @6:15 we arrived at Firefly in Fort Lauderdale to pick up a mustang we had reserved. We were fourth of about 10 people in line and waited 1/2 hour for one of the two counter people on duty to help us only to find our car was not ready.

We were told our car was parked behind 4 other cars at the washbay. After another 1/2 hour we were told they had found a mechanical problem with the car so they would have to find us another car.

To make a long story short we waited until 8:30 for them to deliver another mustang to US which I believe they got from Hertz, their parent company, at the airport. We finally left Firefly 2 1/4 hrs after we had arrived. When we left the waiting line had increased to 20-30 people.

In all fairness the agent made a note on our contract to have the $70 second driver fee removed from our bill when we returned the car which was done once they figured out how to do it.

This rental at their Fort Lauderdale Airport location is our only experience with Firefly. In my opinion the rental counter at this location is grossly understaffed and the personnel are poorly trained.

The bottom line is I will not rent from Firefly again nor would I recommend them. Our experience just goes to show "you get what you pay for".

Chania, Greece
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Firefly Car Rental?

The worst rental ever! I rent a car via CarTrawler from Firefly. I payed for a VW Golf and I received a Ford Focus Station Wagon in an extremely bad condition. The car had severe vibrations, it couldn't be driven over 100 km/h , it was in need of service (a light notified that the oil had to be checked) and the km were too much for a reliable car. After 100 km the ‘’check engine’’ light was turned on. I stopped the car and call the Treviso airport for help. They told me to go to Bologna airport to change the car. I traveled 40 km back to Bologna but the branch there had no cars at all. Apparently the Treviso branch didn’t contact Bologna to notify them for my situation and to ask them for availability. I lost 2 hours waiting and talking and finally they gave me another car, smaller (Nissan Note) in a bad condition too (too much km, scratches all over, the bumper was crushed, the front system was noisy like it needed repair and very dirty). When i returned the car to Treviso the clerk agreed with me in every point and indicates to me that Firefly is a cheap company that rents old cars without any maintenance at all!

NJ
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Firefly Car Rental?

We just returned from a trip to Florida and used Firefly for our car rental. The car they gave us, a Kia Rio, was fine. It was a small car, it was kind of dirty inside with stained seats, but it got us from point A to point B. HOWEVER, the entire process of dealing with Firefly was awful. We waited at least an hour and a half on line. When we finally got up to the desk, the process only took us 5 minutes, but for others it seemed they waited, and waited, and waited. There was no excuse for it having to take so long. When we first got there, we saw 3 workers behind the counter. But one shortly disappeared and then another one wandered off, and finally it was only one person. People on line were pissed and yelling, and he ignored them. We had thought we reserved a Toyota Corolla, but we got a Kia instead. At that point, we didn't care, as long as it worked. Their location is off site from the airport, they have a shuttle. But driving back to drop off the car, we were lost. Our GPS (which we brought from home) was directing us, but there's a lot of construction going on so be prepared for lots of confusion finding them. In all, it's doubtful we would ever rent a car from Firefly again. The process was just too unpleasant. By the way, on the day we dropped off the car, there were people who gave up after waiting for 2 hours and 45 minutes! They took the shuttle back to the airport with us and went to the Avis counter.