We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary and getting around help

Saint Helens, Oregon
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary and getting around help

Hi all... In just over a year we will be in sunny Florida to go on an 11 day Caribbean cruise.

We will be flying in from Oregon, which means fairly late arrival (7pm is my best guess.) The trip is me, dh, dd (11), and my dm.

I am fairly sure we will have better airfare into FLL... But out cruise leaves out of Miami.

We plan on flying in on Monday, having all day Tuesday and Wednesday to hang by the pool one day and the other day we all want to drive down to the Keys and sightsee. I know this is a lot of driving if we are based in Ft. Lauderdale. Then the cruise leaves on Thursday.

I do not want to just crash somewhere one night and then move the next day, so we plan on renting a car at the airport and then heading to where our home base will be for the next few days.

Add in that I am kinda picky and want lots of space.. A two-bedroom suite wherever we do stay. My mom needs her privacy but most places it doesn't make sense to pay for two rooms. In Ft. Lauderdale I have it narrowed down to Lago Mar or Hilton Ft L Beach I think. Both have the types of rooms I want. I was also looking in Miami... Holy cow what a price difference... I think I like the Alexander they have a signature suite that might work.

Okay, so here is what I need to know... We have never been to Florida... We can do some driving to go sightsee (probably Wednesday, I am thinking Tuesday will be the pool day.) Is it crazy to stay up in Ft L and keep driving by Miami? I am thinking it may be... Is it super far from FLL to the Miami beach hotels? If we wanted to head straight there after our flight? Then Miami would be our home base? I am just stuck by the cost differences between the two areas!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary and getting around help

We do Fort Lauderdale to South Beach Miami in around 40 minutes. There are plenty of things to do within easy driving distance of Fort Lauderdale without driving to the Keys. If I were paying Lago Mar or Hilton Beach Resort prices I'd want to enjoy their facilities. I expect you know that the Hilton charges mega bucks for parking, which would make Lago Mar a better bet IMO.

Saint Helens, Oregon
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary and getting around help

We only want to see the keys to say we have... First time to miami and could be our only.... Just because we have to come from so far!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,938 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary and getting around help

You MAY want to consider a red eye flight out on Sunday night. Either way be prepared for the time change.

Choose your rental car company with care if you plan on a Keys day. You will encounter cashless tolls to the Keys and it's best to avoid Dollar and Thrifty due to the cost. Plan out your trip to the Keys but do include a backup in case of weather etc. Enjoy!

Saint Helens, Oregon
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary and getting around help

Thanks... A red eye may happen, but we'd prefer not... Done them before and it wasn't a good idea for dh... Boy was he grumpy! I understand the toll mess... Bummer it has to be that way, makes it hard or tourists! But we'd rather be prepared then caught off guard!

What about Vrbo? Are there certain condo style places that people really like with consistency in the decor and amenities?

Edited: 16 February 2014, 22:28
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,938 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary and getting around help

I've only used vrbo once, recently switched over to airbnb, though both might be worth looking into.

6. Re: Itinerary and getting around help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 06:18