We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A little advise needed valet parking and rental car drop off

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
A little advise needed valet parking and rental car drop off

Hi

We will be arriving in F. Lauderdale after a week in Orlando to catch a cruise and sail home. Looking at booking the hilton beach for a couple of nights. We have never used valet parking before and believe its compulsary at the hilton, wondering do we tip in both drop off and collection of the car? And how much?

My next ? On the morning of our cruise we thought we would drop the rental car off at the airport and get a taxi with all our luggage back to the cruise port. Is this an easy process or would you recommend something else?

Oh as an after thought D'you think it's worth paying the extra for a 1 bed at the hilton rather than a studio ? We will be there 2 nights and probably wouldn't spend a great deal of time in the room as want to explore. Though if the 1 beds are much better or in better locations with better views it may be worth the extra.

Sorry for any rambling and thanks in advance for your help

Suzy

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,150 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A little advise needed valet parking and rental car drop off

I normally tip only on pickup of the car. $2-3 should be fine. Taxi back to the Port should be fine. Never stayed at that hotel, so I cant really comment on your last question. How much more is the other room ? Is there room for all in your party in the smaller room ?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A little advise needed valet parking and rental car drop off

Hi

Thanks for the reply. There is only myself and hubby . The smaller room works out around $90 cheaper over the 2 nights. Are the taxis close to the rental drop offs at the airport as we will have a lot of luggage?

Suzy

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,150 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A little advise needed valet parking and rental car drop off

The rental car center is near Terminal 1, it may be a short walk to the taxi's or there may even be some waiting there.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A little advise needed valet parking and rental car drop off

At the Hilton the studio would be fine for 2 nights. The one bedroom comes with a full kitchen, and you shouldn't be needing that. The smaller kitchen in the studio should be fine. I found the only rooms with a distinct room location advantage are the oceanfront rooms(and these all may be 2 bedroom suites). The other types of rooms seem to be alternated, and have a side view of the ocean. I would request a high floor as close to the ocean as possible. Do not get city/Intracoastal view as you probably won't see the ocean at all.

I think the pool is on the 6th (maybe 7th) floor. My only other advice would be to request not to get a room onl the 2 floors directly above the pool.

I've always gotten a high room towards the ocean , and have always been happy with the view.

As far as valet, I only tip on pickup.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A little advise needed valet parking and rental car drop off

That's great. Thanks so much for the advise.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,166 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A little advise needed valet parking and rental car drop off

I too vote for tip on pick up only - the valets should be pooling and splitting tips so once is enough. I was all ready to say that poster JD might have excellent advice about the Hilton- and I see she has already helped you with that!

Do you plan to venture off the beach area for your pre cruise days? If not, you may find that you can hire a taxi once in a while or use Water taxi , Sun Trolley etc for a whole lot less than the combined cost of the parking and the car rental. Would be as shame to pay all that and have the car sit most of the time.. but it depends on how far afield you are going.

I think a taxi to FLL from FLL to Hilton would be about $25 an more like $15- for a taxi back to the Port from there.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A little advise needed valet parking and rental car drop off

I have a little plan of what I hope to see and do. Don't know if it's realistic or not though. Will leave orlando around 7:30 am on the fri and hoping to be in f.lauderdale before lunch. I am going to email the hotel and see if it would be ok to drop off the bags with them if our room isn't ready and then head to miami for a little look around. Hubby really wants to do the speed boat tours so thought we could grab a bite to eat and do the 2pm tour? Would head back to hotel late afternoon shower and maybe drive to sawgrass mills. On Saturday was thinking the Everglades tour 1st thing then spend the rest of the day on the beach an river taxi. Then a stroll down las olas in the evening for food and drink. Sunday morning we would probably only have enough time for a little walk and some breakfast before heading to return the hire car and get to port for 12.

What do you think ?

Suzy

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,166 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A little advise needed valet parking and rental car drop off

I think for that you will need to keep your car- and probably it can all be accomplished though the Everglades attractions are often so crowded with cruise excursions on Saturdays- there may be a wait .. I'll be surprised if Hilton won't store luggage for you- but won't you have that car trunk anyway- so maybe not necessary to even go over to Hilton- just straight down to Miami. Our other DE Sue has been on the speedboat I think- ( something like the Blaster if I recall/ lets's see if she has any comment She's one who goes down to Miami- I haven't been in ages except for cruise activities and club meetings.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,150 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A little advise needed valet parking and rental car drop off

Where are you taking this speed boat from ? Bayside Miami ? Will your car have access to the cashless tolls in and around Miami ?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: A little advise needed valet parking and rental car drop off

Hi

We are hiring through alamo who I believe only charge a small daily amount if you go through the cashless tolls. The speedboat tour we have seen was in the attractions recommended by tripadviser . They are only small boats that you drive yourself I think behind the guide. Around $90 pp. haven't got the exact details on me at the minute.

Yes we could leave our cases in the trunk while in miami, will they be safe?

Suzy