We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will holiday traffic make metro/bus option a better choice?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
56 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Will holiday traffic make metro/bus option a better choice?

I have read various posts about transports between FLL and SOBE and think I have a decent handle on the three main options: cab, metro/bus, or shuttle.

From what I can tell, a cab will cost $80.00+ and could take up to an hour depending on the normal traffic. However, given that I am going Easter weekend 2014, I am wondering if it will likely take even longer due to increased traffic volume? To be specific my boyfriend and arrive in FLL on Thursday April 17,2014 around 12:45PM. Has anyone made this trip around the same time of year in the past, and if so, did it take considerably longer? How much extra was the cab fare?

I don't want to take a cab, which is $80.00+, if the much cheaper metro/bus option will take only a bit longer due to holiday traffic. Again, from what I can tell, the metro/bus combo requires use of the free tri-rail shuttle from FLL over to the metro. I believe the metro costs $4.00 one way (unless it has gone up?) and we would get off at the MIA stop. From MIA, we would take the air flyer bus, which is $2.35, to SOBE. Can anyone give me an accurate estimate as to how long this option will take? I read one post that said it would take between two and three hours total, but then another post suggested that it did not take quite as long... I do realize that the bus portion would be subjected to increased traffic time too..

Not really interested in a shuttle.. yea it's $42.00 vs. $80.00, but from what I have read, it is definitely two to three hours, even in normal traffic...

What do you guys think? Will the holiday traffic make the metro/bus option a better choice as far as the price being significantly lower with the time being not much longer?

Thanks for your help in advance!

- Emily

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,851 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will holiday traffic make metro/bus option a better choice?

Do you mean Tri-Rail when you say Metro ? I dont think there would be any increase in traffic.

Your arrival into FLL puts you on the 1:20pm bus to the train stop. The Southbound train departs at 2:17 and arrives at the Hialeah Market/Miami Airport station at 2:54pm. Then you need the shuttle to the airport which departs at 2:58 arriving at 3:11. From there you need to enter the terminal and catch the MIAMover to the Central station for the 150 bus to South Beach. The bus departs every 30mins. and I suspect you'll make the 4pm bus. This puts you on South Beach at about 4:47pm

One way from FLL to MIA is $3.75 on the train and then $2.65 on the bus( if you use an Easy Ticket it should be $0.60 to transfer)

2. Re: Will holiday traffic make metro/bus option a better choice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 04:50