We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weird weather question....

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
midwest
Level Contributor
405 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Weird weather question....

Just curious how accurate your weather forecasts are down there (here in MN they aren't the best), particularly out 10 days or so?? I just looked at the weather for end of next week and into the following week and it looks particularly bad. Accuweather is the only one that give you further out than 10 days but it has rain or mostly cloudy almost every day! Does that change or should I try and find some indoor activities? Thanks!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weird weather question....

Long range weather forecasts for Florida are meaningless in my experience . I only worry about forecasts about 3 days out if that . We were supposed to have rain al night tonight into tomorrow am- it's after midnight and nothing yet- looks like it's breaking up at the last minute. This is not our rainy season.

midwest
Level Contributor
405 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weird weather question....

Thanks as always Lulutoo for the quick response! I won't worry just yet :-)

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,172 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weird weather question....

Some reasonable guesses can be made 10 days or so ahead. The National Weather Service has some of those. At this time of year, large-scale weather (the big high and low pressure systems and big masses of air) affect Florida quite a lot. Today, much of central and southern Florida had tornado watches due to approaching cold air and rain. Such fronts often don't make it all the way to the Fort Lauderdale area, and the weather will be quite different depending on which way it goes.

We also have locally-generated weather. If there's some moisture, even in the "dry" season, local thunderstorms can pop up, fast. A special subset of forecasting difficulties is that surf at the beaches (normally fairly minimal) can pop up and dissipate fast because wind from the south can cross enough open water to generate waves. From the east, the Bahamas block swells from the Atllantic. But swell from the northeast can sneak in.

But this late in winter, air temperatures are less unstable than in January or February. There might be a few chilly mornings and there might be some days like today (warm but threatening). Overall, warm and sunny.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weird weather question....

As one Midwesterner to another, the forecasts in FL are no better than they are at home :-)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,183 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weird weather question....

there isn't a forecast anywhere in the world that's reliable at 10 days out.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weird weather question....

Lulu is totally right, don't rely on anything 10 days out. Plus the saying in Florida is, "If you don't like the weather, just wait 5mins." Meaning that just because it may say it's raining, doesn't mean it'll stay like that for long. You're going to have a fantastic time down here and if you need any activity suggestions (in any weather), just ask.

midwest
Level Contributor
405 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weird weather question....

Thanks everyone for the awesome replies!!!

De Pere, Wisconsin
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Weird weather question....

looks like they have upgraded, I to am hoping for good weather that week after this winter

midwest
Level Contributor
405 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weird weather question....

I sure hope so - when I looked this a.m, it was still showing rain 4 out of 6 days, and only one sun :-(.

De Pere, Wisconsin
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Weird weather question....

we plan on doing a lot of snorkeling so we will be wet anyway. Just would like to be warm, I have read that I should worry more about the wind as it will effect water clarity.

Get answers to your questions about Fort Lauderdale