We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricanes in October for Cruise

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricanes in October for Cruise

Looking at and considering doing a cruise in Caribbean in Mid October to begin of November.

Sail out of Fort Lauderdale.

I like to ask about hurricane season. Now i was in florida last october and no problems. but situation with cruises

Would there be a big change of getting into a storm while on Caribbean cruise at this time?

would there be ok weather on ship while at sea? suggestions please and thanks from all experts

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricanes in October for Cruise

Mentioning the H word and October is illegal on the forum because I'll be in town and H's are not allowed. Joking apart it is still H season but hopefully you'll be OK, statistics keep statistians in jobs. I think it's a case of who knows. We were in Miami when Wilma hit and that was November which is supposedly the end of the H season.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,187 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricanes in October for Cruise

There is no way to predict. Even the hurricane experts cannot say for sure. We have had several years now with few storms even getting close. If you are on the cruise and they know a storm is coming they will redirect the ship to another part of the carribean. You can also ask on the www.cruisecritic.com which is TA's sister site and will have more cruise ship members on their forums.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,721 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricanes in October for Cruise

None of us can hope to predict the weather or the chance of hurricanes in Oct. Any cruise ship will avoid hurricanes and affected seas at all costs, at the worst skipping ports of call and going elsewhere.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,116 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricanes in October for Cruise

As the previous poster has said , it's a giant Ocean and the cruise lines are skilled at rerouting a ship or missing one port to avoid storms if needed , but it almost never is.. I don't think you should be concerned- chances of that happening are very small. I can't recall if trip cancellation insurance can cover weather related problems, but I think travel insurance is always a good idea for cruises anyway and we always buy it. so you might want to see if it does . I think there is more of a risk of a flight to Florida to catch the cruise being canceled or delayed, due to weather issues but that too is something that is quite rare.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricanes in October for Cruise

We were on a cruise last year the third week of October (remember Sandy?). When we left home, I checked the weather in the Caribbean and everything was fine. Our first day at sea we began hearing about a hurricane forming south of Jamaica. Our stop in Jamaica was cancelled and we continued on to Cozumel. I

Once in Cozumel, I started to think where did that hurricane go? Would we see if again? In the meantime it passed Cuba and up the U.S. coast where it caused so much damage.

When we returned to Fort Lauderdale we had a little rough seas on the last night. Other than that we had no other problems from the storm.

The cruise ship will most definitely stay out of harms way. So don't worry about that.

Since we missed Jamaica, we will be going again to Jamaica.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricanes in October for Cruise

2005 we were in playa del carmen when wilma hit last week of october.

2003 we had the tail of nora and olof puerti vallarta end oct.

if it comes it comes.

7. Re: Hurricanes in October for Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 05:16