We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best casual fresh seafood restaurant AROUND Ft Lauderdal

Nokia, Finland
Level Contributor
326 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
The best casual fresh seafood restaurant AROUND Ft Lauderdal

Hi,

ok, having read the replies to the best seafood restaurant in Ft Lauderdale question, how about the best casual seafood restaurant AROUND Fort Lauderdale area, say 15 - 20 mile radius?

I am interested in fresh, local seafood rather than flown-in, if possible. Anything with shrimps rocks! We never have fresh, juicy, big shrimps where I live. Just tiny, puny frozen ones.

I am really surprised to hear there aren´t many great seafood restaurant IN Ft L, as it is by the seaside!

I will go and read restaurant reviews, sure, but somehow I like to get recommendations!

:O)

Anne, Finland

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,347 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best casual fresh seafood restaurant AROUND Ft Lauderdal

Ft Lauderdale is known as a seafood market IMO, we dont have a shrimp boat fleet like the Gulf does. Have you tried google ?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,315 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best casual fresh seafood restaurant AROUND Ft Lauderdal

Shrimp is caught on the west coast of Florida , not here. Some is brought up from the Keys. I like a place in Pompano Beach/ Lighthouse Point called Seafood World, which is a combo restaurant and seafood market. They are pricey but they only serve what is fresh. We usually get snapper or grouper but the table next to us was from Boca Raton and told us they came down once a week to have the fried shrimp.

Nokia, Finland
Level Contributor
326 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best casual fresh seafood restaurant AROUND Ft Lauderdal

Ok, now I am seriously embarrassed!

I always thought you got seafood from both coasts, I mean, why ever not?

*blush*

starts googling.....

(BTW I meant something flown-in like Maine lobster)

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best casual fresh seafood restaurant AROUND Ft Lauderdal

You don't say when you will be here, but our "specialty" is stone crabs. However, the season for them runs from the 15 October to 15 May.

Probably the most reasonably-priced stone crabs are at Catfish Dewey's Restaurant (which, of course, serves great catfish ----- farm-raised in Mississippi, though).

http://www.catfishdeweys.com/

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,315 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best casual fresh seafood restaurant AROUND Ft Lauderdal

The Gulf of Mexico is where shrimp are harvested and that is on the west coast of Florida - no shrimp caught here that I know of- they are sometimes trucked in from the Keys- one way to perhaps enjoy them most economically is to see if the Publix seafood counter will steam them to order for you as a take out item- then enjoy them back at the hotel by the pool.

Nokia, Finland
Level Contributor
326 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best casual fresh seafood restaurant AROUND Ft Lauderdal

Hi, and thanks!

I will be over in November.

The reason I am asking questions already is I am compiling a "guide" for myself, including places to visit and restaurants to go to.

So, here is the list of restaurants I´d love to visit:

Rustic Inn Crabhouse

Southport Raw Bar

Kelly´s Landing

Sheila's Conch and Wings (visited Sheila´s once when she was located in Lake Worth)

Seafood World Market & Restaurant,

Catfish Deweys, 4003 N. Andrews Avenue, Oakland Park

Coconut´s Waterside Grill,429 Seabreeze Blvd &

G&B Oyster Bar

Then I am certainly going to visit

Hurricane Alley, Boynton Beach again

and John G’s in Manalapan forb THE best seafgood linguini I´ve ever had. Hubby loves it, too. The portion is so large, two can eat out of it. I´ve never finished the portion myself, and I love my food.

Do the first ones sound like places for good, reasonably priced seafood (shrimps!) to you?

Anne, Finland

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,315 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best casual fresh seafood restaurant AROUND Ft Lauderdal

I feel obligated to share my pick for best and cheapest seafood- also in Pompano in a small strip of shops a block off US1 ( parking lot full of pot holes) but really good and really cheap- usually lines out the door and no ambiance inside at all- but great seafood- we locals like to keep it to ourselves- it's hard to find ( I've provided you a map) and often hard to get a table even now. I have friends who eat there several times a week.

urbanspoon.com/r/…Fish-Shack-Pompano-Beach

Nokia, Finland
Level Contributor
326 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best casual fresh seafood restaurant AROUND Ft Lauderdal

Thanks, Lulutoo!

I gratefully added Fish Shack! May I be curious, what is your favorite dish there?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,315 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best casual fresh seafood restaurant AROUND Ft Lauderdal

I've enjoyed their grouper sandwich, the cracked conch, grilled mahi, sea scallops and the garlic shrimp that I can recall.

urbanspoon.com/cities/…254935

I don't know why all my favorite cheap joints are in Pompano, but I also like Calypso, a Caribbean inspired place with lots of seafood blackboard specials ( their cutters are sandwiches in crusty hollowed out rolls- the garlic /mushroom/shrimp cutter is terrific)

And Litos in Lighthouse Point is a casual sports bar that has lots of seafood as well- I've had a fried shrimp po boy sandwich that was so big I took half home.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 19:49
Nokia, Finland
Level Contributor
326 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The best casual fresh seafood restaurant AROUND Ft Lauderdal

Thanks for the tips! Sounds goood!

Anne