We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A 3-Night Couples Escape: Dinners? Water Taxi? Help!

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Topic
A 3-Night Couples Escape: Dinners? Water Taxi? Help!

Hi!

My husband and I are in our mid-30s and are heading to Ft. Lauderdale for a quick 3 day weekend in early May. We're staying at the Marriott Harbor Beach (already booked with Marriott points yay!), and are looking for help!

We would love to go out for one really nice dinner while we're there, with a view of the water. Is the upstairs at 15th Street Fisheries Dockside a good place? I've stalked the other posts and it has mixed reviews. Is there another place close by? I looked at the menus at Grille 66, Bistro Mezzaluna, and Market 17 and they didn't look as good to me as the one at 15th Street.

We will not have a car, so I would like to stay closer to the Marriott if possible. Can we take a water taxi from the hotel? I looked at the water taxi schedule and can't quite figure it out.

We would also like to go out for one casual dinner, also preferably on the water, and that has live music. Is there a place like that? Or should we go to Pirate Republic Bar, Downtowner Saloon, Shooters, or the Raw Bar?

We'll only venture out at night, as during the day I will be in or next to the pool, drink in hand.

Thank you everyone for any help you can give us! We appreciate it!

Uni

Orange, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A 3-Night Couples Escape: Dinners? Water Taxi? Help!

Check out Casablanca Cafe and H2O which are both located directly across from the beach. Both offer inside and outside seating. Another with a canal view would be Bimini Boatyard but we like it less than the other two.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
495 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A 3-Night Couples Escape: Dinners? Water Taxi? Help!

The Marriott Harbor Beach is a lovely property. I am sure you will be happy with your choice. The only downside is that it is a bit isolated from some of the things you listed. I am a walker so staying there has not been a problem but for others it may be.

The closest water taxi stop would be Bahia Cabana. About a 15-20 minute walk. This would also be a good choice for a casual meal with live entertainment. Coconuts is also a good choice.

3030 Ocean in your resort is an excellent restaurant. Prices reflect that. As was mentioned Casablanca Café and H2O are also great choices for dinner. They would be a long walk but doable. I consider it safe to walk in this area.

Enjoy

Enjoy.

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A 3-Night Couples Escape: Dinners? Water Taxi? Help!

Thank you so much HarryRCT and 2ndCity! I really, really appreciate your help!

I love the look of Cafe Casablanca, so I think we'll go with that one! Both Bahia Cabana and Coconuts look like our speed. For casual, which would you choose?

We can walk there, but I doubt we'll want to walk back. Are there cabs that will take us back to the Marriott from there? I think we'll do the water taxi for the casual night. How long into the night does it run?

Thank you so much again!

Uni

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A 3-Night Couples Escape: Dinners? Water Taxi? Help!

The Marriott Harbor Beach is one of our favorite properties and we stay there at least yearly. When using points, they will also contact you to see if you would like a room upgrade for a fee. We usually go for that as the oceanfront rooms are terrific.

15th Street Fisheries "used to be" a great spot but in the last 5 years it has really gone downhill. I would not return.

We usually go to Grill 66 Christmas week for a nice steak........their food is great...prices are high but it is worth it. This is an easy walk from HB.

Coconuts is absolutely great.........we just went there this year for the first time. Casual, waterfront, and terrific food. I love their Oysters Rockefeller. This would be a fairly easy walk from HB. You can also take the water taxi to the Chart House. Great outdoor dining right on the Intercoastal.

I am not a fan of 3030 Ocean - the prices are high and the entrees are very small.

Have a great trip!

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A 3-Night Couples Escape: Dinners? Water Taxi? Help!

Thank you EmilyC123! I'm so glad to hear all these great reviews of the Harbor Beach. My husband and I are really looking forward to that pool and a few drinks while we lounge! I will absolutely keep the ocean front room in mind. We may already have one, and I know we've asked for a high floor.

Would you say Grill66 is better than Casablanca? I have to say walking distance makes Grille66 very appealing to me, and the pictures there look amazing. And, Coconuts looks like a must. If we have time, we will have to check out the Chart House too...and I have to admit I really want to experience that water taxi! :-)

I think we'll skip 3030. I don't love hotel restaurants, even if they're good, and the portion size being small will not appeal to us.

Do I need to buy tickets for the water taxi? I looked at their website, and it says you can buy them in advance, but I can't believe early May will be busy enough so that I will need them. Am I wrong?

Thank you all again so much!

Uni

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A 3-Night Couples Escape: Dinners? Water Taxi? Help!

Does Coconuts have live music on the weekends?

Thanks!

Orange, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A 3-Night Couples Escape: Dinners? Water Taxi? Help!

Nothing mentioned on their web site about live music. http://coconutsfortlauderdale.com/

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A 3-Night Couples Escape: Dinners? Water Taxi? Help!

Hmmm...I noticed the same HarryRCT!!! Thanks for the link! :-)

Any thoughts on where we could go that's casual on the water on a Saturday night for live music?

Thanks!!!

Uni

Mercer,Wi
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A 3-Night Couples Escape: Dinners? Water Taxi? Help!

Doesn't the water taxi have that route to Miami anymore?

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: A 3-Night Couples Escape: Dinners? Water Taxi? Help!

Miami would be great, but a bit further than we want to go! :-)

Is there anything (relatively) close to the Marriott Harbor Beach hotel that would have live music on a Saturday night, and that is also on the water? I'm not thinking a club or techno or anything like that. I'll take a person with a guitar!

Thanks!

Uni