We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach resort for couple without kids or rental car?

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
3 posts
Save Topic
Best beach resort for couple without kids or rental car?

My husband and I (in our mid-30s) will be in Fort Lauderdale over Memorial Day weekend and are deciding between hotels on the beach - it looks like there are a lot of great options so we would appreciate advice. Our priorities are a nice beach, a relaxing and not too crowded setting, fun activities and within walking distance to restaurants and shops. We love to walk so being a bit further from things could be ok as long as still walkable (and if we really need to, we can rent a car). A really nice pool would also be great. From my research so far I am focusing on the following hotels (and we are holding a reservation at the Hilton for about $250/night):

- Lago Mar

- Pelican Grand

- Hilton

- Atlantic

- Harbor Beach Marriott

I love the idea of a resort with a lot of activities like Lago Mar but does a place like that make sense without kids in tow?

Any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach resort for couple without kids or rental car?

I've always enjoyed Lago Mar without kids. The lagoon pool usually has quite a few kids, but the other pool is quieter, and the beach is so wide it's always been quiet. That being said, you really need a car(free parking) or you could take a short cab ride to dining if you don't want to eat at the resort.

Marriott is really nice too, on the same wide beach as Lago. Pool area is really nice. Rooms just average size. You can walk to a few places and the water taxi. Marriott and Lago are the 2 resorts that have really beautiful grounds. Definitely has kids at the pool area, but again, always quiet at the beach. I think if you book a spa treatment there's a private pool you can use. Check on this though, because I'm not positive.

I think Hilton is the nicest of the hotels that are across the street from the beach. The pool area is nice, but packed on the few times I stayed there. Walkable to restaurants. Nice 1 BR Oceanview suites.

I really don't like the Atlantic. It is too quiet, not a nice pool area, and the service wasn't good. The rooms were really nice though. If you really want a place without kids though, this may be a good choice.

Forget the Pelican. Not walkable to anything, small pool and the lazy river attracts a lot of kids. The beach in front of it is very narrow.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach resort for couple without kids or rental car?

I'd eliminate Pelican for sure- too remote - and I'd add Ritz Carlton in as a very adult oriented spot ( not sure of the rates though for your dates which may be high at all these places for Memorial Day ). For Memorial Day I would think Lago Mar and even Harbor Beach would be fairly full of families with children. I'd probably prefer Hilton or Ritz for a more adult setting for that date even though they are across from the beach.

NY
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach resort for couple without kids or rental car?

Thanks very much JD3 and Lulutoo - this is very helpful. Definitely don't mind having kids around but don't want to feel out of place somewhere that is very family/kid oriented. We will look into rates at the Ritz Carlton. Is it also worthwhile to consider the W or Westin? Thanks again.

midwest
Level Contributor
405 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach resort for couple without kids or rental car?

We just stayed at the Hilton for a week and loved it! Sounds like it has everything you are looking for - location is great! The Ritz did look really nice but (just my opinion) the fact that it was right next to the really congested (and full of police cars on the nights we walked by) beach place made us glad we stayed 6 or so blocks up the beach. The outdoor patio area looked really cozy however and looked like a very nice hotel. Again, just my opinion and we were also there over spring break which was somewhat crowded...... We really focused on TA reviews and that is kind of how we picked the Hilton - you can walk to many restaurants or take a taxi or Sun Trolley and grab something on Las Olas for dinner. I think the trolley stops running at 6 although I am not positive on that - you can always cab it back.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach resort for couple without kids or rental car?

The trolley does not run at night but many don't know there is a city bus (#11) that runs across Las Olas Blvd and up the beach on the same route as the trolley and runs till very late at night.

midwest
Level Contributor
405 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach resort for couple without kids or rental car?

Thanks Lulutoo - good to know! By the way, I soooo miss FLL - it is raining (and is forecast the whole week) and in the 40's here!! :(

7. Re: Best beach resort for couple without kids or rental car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 06:15