We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami or Fort Lauderdale for pre cruise stay/shopping

Kent, England
Level Contributor
164 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Miami or Fort Lauderdale for pre cruise stay/shopping

We are planning a three day pre cruise stay in Florida before departing from Fort Lauderdale. We have stayed in Miami before and loved it but are thinking for a change we might stay in Fort Lauderdale this time. We have been there and done the intracoastal waterway trip but not seen anything else of the city. Our main aim on one day will be to shop - stocking up at Macy's is great for UK visitors. Which would be a better destination for our short visit - we are unsure of the shopping opporuntunities in both cities - we don;t want really high end boutiques but a decent department store/mall.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,830 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miami or Fort Lauderdale for pre cruise stay/shopping

Will you have a car? Transportation is the first part of this puzzle that needs to be solved.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
164 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miami or Fort Lauderdale for pre cruise stay/shopping

We weren't going to but given that we have to get from Miami airport so it would be easy to have a car if needed.

Pembroke Pines...
Destination Expert
for Doral
Level Contributor
642 posts
600 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miami or Fort Lauderdale for pre cruise stay/shopping

Since you will be using MIA Airport I'd say you better stay in Miami again. Without a car commute between Miami and Fort Lauderdale can really be a hassle - taxis are pricey and public transport is poor, excluding maybe the TriRail.

http://www.tri-rail.com/

Auckland
Level Contributor
13 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miami or Fort Lauderdale for pre cruise stay/shopping

Hey sorry to jump in but we are also in the same boat so to speak. we do plan to have a car. just want to see a little of Miami and Fort Lauderdale before our cruise. Suggestions would be great. we do like shopping but more interested in doing the everglades and beaches and anything else you can recommend.

thanks Fiona

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,830 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miami or Fort Lauderdale for pre cruise stay/shopping

FYI its better to start your own thread.

Whats your interest ? Budget ? Dates of travel ?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Miami or Fort Lauderdale for pre cruise stay/shopping

We will be flying into Miami & catching a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale. Could someone recommend a hotel that is close to the port. Also, if you know rental cars, we need to rent a car in Miami & return in Ft lauderdale and get back to Miami airport after the cruise. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We will be taking this trip next March but want some advice please....

thank you... thank you

Nancy

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,830 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Miami or Fort Lauderdale for pre cruise stay/shopping

What makes up your party ? What's your budget ? I'd try and Priceline the car.

Auckland
Level Contributor
13 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Miami or Fort Lauderdale for pre cruise stay/shopping

Thank you did get to post my own , but 23 need 3 night accommodation in April 2015. also want to hire a rental from orlando. for about 8 days. cant get economycarr to give me a prce for one way.may be to far out. looking to be not too far from the beach. and aroud the 2oo a night as the top level for accommodation. two pax . we arrive in in easter Sunday so that may cause us some problems. hopong not at MCO. what are you holidays at Easter.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Miami or Fort Lauderdale for pre cruise stay/shopping

Hi: two of us... prefer to get a reasonable commute from Miami to Ft Lauderdale - someone told me the shuttle was $75/person. For that we can rent a car - although I understand we really won't need one.

We really don't have a "budget" just reasonable amount to spend. Any ideas for us? Sure do appreciate your help.

Nancy

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Miami or Fort Lauderdale for pre cruise stay/shopping

Hi: Does anyone know if the rental companies have a return near or at the port? That would be quite convenient. thank you in advance for your help & ideas!

Nancy