We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale

Seattle
Level Contributor
670 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
road trip from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale

My husband and I are thinking of taking a road trip in late February. We would fly from Seattle to Atlanta. Stay there a couple days and then drive down to Ste-Augustine for a couple days. Then drive to Daytona Beach for a couple days. Then drive to Fort Lauderdale to visit family for a few days. From there fly back to Seattle. Other than Fort Lauderdale the other cities are optional. Any sugestions on alternative cities to stop as we drive down the Florida coast?

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale

I've done the drive several times in the past from Atlanta to Miami to catch cruises. My husband's father had a condo on South Beach years ago so we visited him too. We went to Daytona every year for about ten years. Unless you are on the beach, there really is not much that is interesting in Florida.

Have you been to Disney World? You might want to consider doing that too. It is only a couple hours from Daytona.

Fort Lauderdale FL
Level Contributor
196 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale

If you're into Space Exploration you could check out the Kennedy Space center near Cocoa Beach/Titusville area - but only if you really have an interest in it!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,836 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale

I think St. Augustine and Daytona would be two great choices- Cocoa Beach would be another possibility if you wanted to go a bit further south for that leg as it's a bit south of Daytona .

Kennedy Space Center is interesting if you are into that, but the admission s pretty steep, so unless you really like looking at rockets etc, , you might give it a pass.

I definitely agree with the poster that it is best to stick to the coast , unless you are an antiques buff, in which case the quaint little town of Mount Dora would be a good alternate to Daytona, but only if you like to browse antiques.

Seattle
Level Contributor
670 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale

Thanks for the responses so far. Is there any star gazing at the Space Center? That would probably interest my husband a lot. We definetly intend to take the A1A. Last March with visited my family in Fort Lauderdale and drove on the A1A south to South Beach and North to Boca Raton. It was beautiful and that is what gave us the idea to do a road trip next year. We're considering stopping for one day in Disneyworld. Any other "do not miss" in terms of restaurants, beaches, attractions?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,836 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale

I'm pretty certain Kennedy Space Center has no star gazing, but since you are coming down to Ft. Lauderdale, did you know there is an excellent Planetarium here at our Community College with shows open to the public?

Here's the web link:

http://www.iloveplanets.com/

Maybe you'll be lucky enough to be here when they are having a show or other activity! The Community College is in southwest Ft. Lauderdale in a town called Davie- the Community College is across the street from Nova University.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale

A don't miss restaurant in St. Augustine is the Columbia House. Our favorite restaurant in Daytona is Aunt Catfish's.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,836 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale

I second the vote for Aunt Catfish- especially for their cinnamon rolls baked fresh daily. They have great seafood and also a very nice Sunday Brunch. If you're in the area, a a definite stop!

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: road trip from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale

Lulu

We have actually stopped at Aunt Catfish's on our way back from a cruise that docked in Miami without going to Daytona beach which is a little out of the way. My husband is taking a trip in a couple of weeks to Daytona. He will be staying in a little motel just off the Port Orange Bridge. He definitely will eat at Aunt Catfish's. I will report back what he says.

Besides the cinnamon rolls, remember the salad bar and the cheese grits?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,836 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: road trip from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale

Oh yum- I sent friends there a few weeks ago and wished I could have gone too! have you ever been to Dixie Crossroads in Titusville for the Rock Shrimp????

10. Re: road trip from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 01:18