We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lago Mar, Hilton or Westin Diplomat?

monroeville, PA
Level Contributor
308 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Lago Mar, Hilton or Westin Diplomat?

We are looking for a hotel for 1-2 days pre-cruise. We would like a hotel near or on the beach with a beautiful pool/area. We also would like to be able to walk to a good restaurant for dinners if possible. We are in our mid 50's.

The hotels above are in our price range. We also would like a hotel with a balcony and oceanfront views if anyone has any tips on rooms.

Thank you.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,536 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lago Mar, Hilton or Westin Diplomat?

Will you have a rental car ? Im not sure many hotels offer a balcony.

monroeville, PA
Level Contributor
308 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lago Mar, Hilton or Westin Diplomat?

We will not have a rental car as we will only be there 1 or 2 days. If the hotels have good restaurants though we would not need to walk anywhere else or we could just take a cab

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lago Mar, Hilton or Westin Diplomat?

Lago Mar is close to port, is directly on a beautiful beach, and has balconies. Also has a beautiful pool area and restaurants/pool bar on site. They have a variety of room types, but I prefer the executive 1 BR suites.

Hilton is across the street from the beach, has balconies, and a nice pool area. Not the beautiful grounds that Lago has though. Rooms are nice with a variety of choices. The Jr. Suites and 1 BR suites are really nice. They charge extra for internet and parking, Lago is free. Not sure about Westin , but it is the furthest from Port.

Florida
Level Contributor
192 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lago Mar, Hilton or Westin Diplomat?

I do not care for large hotels and the Westin Diplomat is LARGE. I think they have 900 rooms. The foot traffic in the lobby makes it feel like Grand Central Terminal. Lago Mar is the most comfortable of the three properties but a bit isolated (if you don't have a car). The Hilton is more centrally located and convenient for walking to a number of restaurants.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lago Mar, Hilton or Westin Diplomat?

If you want to walk to a variety of restaurants, Hilton Marina is probably your best bet. It has a nice pool area and rooms have balconies. The hotel updated their rooms and looks awesome! Ask for a Tower room as the views are better any way you face. South is Port Everglades, and North is the Intracoastal and the City. Can't beat the views.

monroeville, PA
Level Contributor
308 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lago Mar, Hilton or Westin Diplomat?

I'm sorry I should have specified that I was looking at the Hilton Beach Resort not the Hilton Marina.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lago Mar, Hilton or Westin Diplomat?

Lago Mar is very isolated. You have to take a taxi to go to a restaurant or shop.

monroeville, PA
Level Contributor
308 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lago Mar, Hilton or Westin Diplomat?

A friend if mine also suggested the Courtyard Marriott on Seabreeze. I am leaning toward the Hilton, but my adult daughter likes the Westin.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lago Mar, Hilton or Westin Diplomat?

The Courtyard is just OK. It does not have a great pool area and I'm not sure if it has balconies. The Hilton is much better.

Also check out Marriott Harbor Beach. They have a great pool area.

I still like Lago Mar the best. Just to be clear, it's only 1.5 miles away from the restaurants on 17th street near the port, and a little less to the restaurants at the main beach area.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lago Mar, Hilton or Westin Diplomat?

Courtyard has no balconies and if I'm not mistaken, their windows don't open either. It's in a great location though.

I think the Diplomat is an awesome hotel. It's 1,000 rooms and has 6 or 7 restaurants and nothing within walking distance of the hotel.

The Hilton Beach is wonderful, nice rooms, great restaurants and within walking distance of many others, balconies, an ok pool.

Lago Mar is a total resort. Private, large rooms, directly on the ocean, two pools, lots of free perks.

I guess it's going to come down to what you're really looking for..