We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California Pizza Kitchen Have a Diner Look in the Mid-90's?

Ohio
13 posts
Save Topic
California Pizza Kitchen Have a Diner Look in the Mid-90's?

The one I am referring to is on N. Federal between Oakland and Sunrise I believe.

I can't remember if I asked this question on this site or not, but anyway, my dad took me there once back in '96, but when I went back there not too long ago it was changed.

If you can remember, did that California Pizza Kitchen have a chrome exterior and a 60's/50's look inside with memorabilia? I remember a 57' Chevy bumper sticking out of the wall.

Am I crazy or do you remember this, also?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,916 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California Pizza Kitchen Have a Diner Look in the Mid-90's?

wouldn't have been CPK -- Johnny Rockets, maybe.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California Pizza Kitchen Have a Diner Look in the Mid-90's?

It does sound more like Johnny Rockets but that was not in Broward till the one at Seminole Hard Rock opened fairly recently and that is way down in Hollywood.. I can't recall CPK looking like that , but next time I am there ( I love their salads) I'll see if there is manager on duty who knows any history. they have remodeled the interior more than once , just did again this summer, but I never recall a car theme.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California Pizza Kitchen Have a Diner Look in the Mid-90's?

You weren't maybe thinking of what was then called Starlight Diner ( sold now and is called Moon Light diner). I was there today and it has always been chrome and has all sorts of memorabilia inside. The booths almost but not quite look like car seats but I could not see any chrome bumpers from where I was sitting. there is also one in Oakwood Plaza Hollywood- both are called Moonlight Diner now- let me see if I I can link some photos. if I can find some.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California Pizza Kitchen Have a Diner Look in the Mid-90's?

https:/…4c6ac0068e7c0f4755f5e20f

I'm looking for better photos of the wall décor- and think what this shows may have been an update after the sale some years ago.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: California Pizza Kitchen Have a Diner Look in the Mid-90's?

Here's a few photos of wall décor back when it was Stalite Diner- they had to change the name as part of the purchase agreement if I recall. Still lots of 'stuff' on the walls today.

foodio54.com/photos/starlite-diner-fort-laud…

Ohio
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: California Pizza Kitchen Have a Diner Look in the Mid-90's?

thanks for the replies, but I remember 100% it was California pizza kitchen. I'll keep searching. I did find this excerpt from the Sun Sentinel archives though: "From the jaunty glass and chrome exterior of California Pizza Kitchen on Glades Road" but that was in Boca.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 23:18
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: California Pizza Kitchen Have a Diner Look in the Mid-90's?

It's not do much the exterior I'm focusing on- I never ever recall CPK having wall décor that was like the one you described- it was always pizza oriented from my memory and the walls were fairly simple in their artwork not crowded with 50's 60's memorabilia. But hopefully I will get to the one down here again soon- it is not at all far from where I live and hopefully someone in management there will know what it originally looked like.

Ohio
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: California Pizza Kitchen Have a Diner Look in the Mid-90's?

if you could ask next time you're in that would be great, I would really, really appreciate it.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,652 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: California Pizza Kitchen Have a Diner Look in the Mid-90's?

Went in today and I believe I have the definitive answer that what you are recalling was not the CPK. Jeff, a server, has worked there since they opened and says that was another restaurant a few blocks south of them on the same side of Federal Highway and that the waitstsff from CPK used to sometimes go there after work. He was straining to recall the name when I left. He says CPK has never had chrome on the outside in this location and that the inside décor has been changed a bit but always on a black, white and bright yellow color scheme

Maybe next time I see Jeff the name will have come to him- he said there were more than one of those restaurants in the area and that all went under. I know there was a burger and shake place where JMarks is now and they had a couple of branches - one in S,Miami near Florida City I think and I had a guy I dated who loved the milkshakes there - I think it started with a D- I'm going to keep rolling my tape back too- maybe between Jeff and me we'll come up with it. Or next time I'm in J Marks I'll see if anyone there knows what it used to be. before they remodeled it. It only lasted a few years. if it's the one I'm recalling.

Ohio
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: California Pizza Kitchen Have a Diner Look in the Mid-90's?

Wow, Lulutoo thank you so much for taking the time and asking for me, it really means so much! You are the best. Yes, please, if you or jeff can remember the name of that other place I'd love to know. Thanks again =)