We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we rent a car?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Should we rent a car?

Hi all you experts,

Myself, himself and the baby (our son, just a little over a year old) are travelling to Fort Lauderdale in mid-October and we will be staying at the Il Lugano. Now we won't be doing much adventuring, as we like to keep things simple with the baby. However, we are planning on spending a day (or two?) in Miami, visiting some outlet malls, maybe venturing to see a hockey game, maybe some basketball as well. But now the question is, should we rent a car or not? How easy/difficult is it to get around in Fort Lauderdale without a car?

We believe Il Lugano has no self-parking, and parking costs about $25/night. If we do rent a car, is there any chance of (cheaper!) self-parking anywhere near the hotel? And is the car worth the cost? Will it make our lives easier or just more expensive? :D

Thanks in advance for all your wise words!

Oh and yeah, I know our baby is not technically a baby anymore... But he'll always be my baby! :D

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,481 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we rent a car?

I live near il Lugano an know of no cheaper overnight parking nearby -- meters and city lots do not permit overnight parking. to go to Sawgrass Outlets, Miami and baseball etc , ypu really need a car -public transportation will be awful. perhaps you should only d rent a car for the specific days you plan to do those things- although taxi from and to Fll will be about $30 each way. Enterprise will bring a rental car to you at your hotel- so you might check their rates.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,370 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we rent a car?

I second the car on the days you plan to venture out. Don't forget the car seat!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,068 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we rent a car?

To do what you want you do need a car. Do you have to stay at Il Lugano? If you stayed at a Mom and Pop rather than a big hotel you wouldn't have to pay for parking. We always have a car and never pay for parking.

JD3
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we rent a car?

If you plan to enjoy the pool on your trip, Il Lugano does not have a very nice one. It's very small and in the shade a lot of the day. Rooms are nice though.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
91 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we rent a car?

I used to live near Il Lugano, I can't imagine getting around without a car on vacation. Public transportation in FLL just doesn't cut it, at least for me...and this is just my opinion. =)

Make the most out of your visit, splurge, and be comfortable. Enjoy Fort Lauderdale. <3

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
165 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we rent a car?

Yes, rent a car. Especially if you are going to see a hockey game or to the Sawgrass Mall there as well. DO NOT take public transport there, really. A taxi would work but will be expensive. Although an added expense it makes our trips to Fort Lauderdale much more enjoyable. It seems everything we need or want to see or do is a considerable distance from our hotel. We are returning this September and I considered not renting a car, for about 10 seconds, then said yes I'm renting a car. Cheers!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we rent a car?

When renting a car, book the cheapest one you can find now, DO NOT get one that is pre-paid like you would have to do on Expedia/Orbitz/Travelocity, etc. You can use those for checking prices, but book on the car rental site, and DO NOT pay ahead.

Then, check back every two weeks or so and watch the rates - do this all the way up until you are ready to leave. I am playing the rental game right now for a trip, also in mid-October. I have seen rates from $903 to $279 (which is my current booking). The $279 showed up only for about two days, right now it is back to $367.... but I still check once a week. Just remember to cancel the prior one if you get a cheaper rate.

Nokia, Finland
Level Contributor
326 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we rent a car?

We´ve been to Florida three times, will be returning in November. YES, a car is a must! You will also need a GPS / navigator or download the maps to your phone.

Car rentals are cheap compared to Finland, gas is cheap, and you´ll enjoy visiting other towns around your destination.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we rent a car?

Thank you, I knew I could trust the Wise People of Tripadvisor! :) We booked a car and the payment tip was golden too! :)

10. Re: Should we rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2015, 06:16